Mt Adams in February?

jgregory

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hi J,

the access road to cold springs campground is the issue. the road doesn't get plowed, and tends to get snowed/iced in very rapidly. in early march there's still enough snow to require a whole-day approach to where you'd normally park your car and start from in summer.

skiing in early december (the latest i've been able to drive up to cold springs before snow) looks like this:

champignons-de-glace_14527-13.jpg

you can contact the gifford pinchot forest rangers, and they'll be able to give you exact info.

cheers!

that looks like such a defeated posture! awesome picture though...

it was actually a great time. i think in the pic i'm kind of shaking my head at myself for not having left my POWDER skis lower on the mountain. i guess i just remained hopeful about finding some fluff. :)

defeated posture from a skiers perspective. It's looks like someone wearing waders in a desert arroyo thinking they were goint to trout fish. of course the weather looks nice and those formations are beautiful -- and I'm sure you were practically the only folks out there. what year was that

j, are you marios friend? he was asking me about this earlier.

if you can get up there, it should be great! ive always wanted to do adams in the winter. just not willing to spend an extra couple days for the added 10+ miles just to get to the trailhead!!

i would guess (again, never been there this time of year!) it would be at least a three day trip.

just need to be aware of avy conditions.

unless you have snowmobiles...

Yep.

Went and scouted the roads today. 80 is pretty clear and not bad until you hit 020, where a huge tree has recently fallen and is blocking the road for about 40 feet in either direction. I was able to drive all the way around it on the right but after getting around and losing my momentum the road is uphill and 2+ inches of ice covered by 10+ inches of snow. It's not passable unless you hike, ski or snowmobile unfortunately.

(click for larger pictures)

This is looking north on 80:

4279330567_9a68042fc0_m.jpg

This is looking south on 80:

4280073822_933e12189b_m.jpg

4280107332_f338abb473_m.jpg

Edited by jgregory