Collest PNW town.............

climberted

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I happened to find myself in Republic once, I was going to head east up to the nearest pass (can't remember the name of it), inquired about the conditions in the little grocery store...and got this totally blank look from the checkout girl. I could just imagine the thought going thru her head, "Well heck, I ain't never been east of here before. Spent my whole life right here, why in tarnation would I want to go anywhere else?"

All joking aside, that was a neat area.

The Top Four Coolest Towns in the PNW:

4) Yelm - A beautiful burg nestled down by the banks of the lovely Nisqually River. Only minutes from Fossil Rock, the secret sport climbing destination which is also referred to as "The Smith Rock of the Greater Yelm Area."

3) Tokeland - A little known paradise on the mudflats of scenic Willapa Bay. High Times magazine recently rated this as "One of the best places to spark a doob while harvesting shellfish." Only a short three to four hour drive from the nearest rock, which happens to be the sport climbing mecca of Fossil Rock!

2) Forks - If you like precipitation, this is the place to be, with over 150 inches of rain a year. Grow a mullet, wander through the woods, and hang with the friendly unemployed sasquatches at the hip Hangup Tavern. Warning: if you do not drive a Ford or Chevy truck, this might not be the place for you. Since the fall of logging, jobs are somewhat limited, but there are "new economy" opportunities if you can either pick salal or manufacture meth. EZ access to Olympic National Park!

And the #1 coolest, hippest, hottest and happeningest town in all of the PNW is.........

1) Ritzville - the name says it all. A ritzy little resort town in the heart of Washington. Promoters think this place might be the next big thing. Land of big sky, big trucks, big hair and big butts. There may not be lots of girls, but each girl gottsa lotsa woman to them! Ritzville was voted the best place to park your combine in the latest issue of "Grain Growers Monthly." A side note--Ritzville is currently suing Yakima, who it claims plagarized Ritzville's motto: "The Palm Springs of Washington."

Have fun exploring these places, and let us know which cool town you decide to settle in! grin.gif" border="0

• 2 weeks later...

snoqualmie pass is the place to live, you never have to go over a pass to get anywhere in the state, unless its blewett, buts that not a real pass anyway. i make the short drive to cle elum every week for gas and groceries and that keeps the cost of living down.

quote:

Originally posted by projecthex:
snoqualmie pass is the place to live, you never have to go over a pass to get anywhere in the state, unless its blewett, buts that not a real pass anyway. i make the short drive to cle elum every week for gas and groceries and that keeps the cost of living down.

are you calling snocrumy a real pass???

c'mon people, there are far better towns in the NW than I have seen posted here. Nobody mentioned Omak, Creston, Thermopolis, Dewatto, Vernita (wait, they removed that town), Benton City, Entiat, Union, Belfair and my all time favorite place in the NW, right here in sunny washington: Roy.

The scene in Roy is way, way hip. You do need a foam front hat to block the blinding cosmic rays and I think there is a fiber content quota. The mystery meat rocks.

If rock is your only criteria, sure, Omak would work. They also have an awesome beauty parlor, the Wack & Yack. Gotta use that as a route name sometime. Or, how about Electric City? (Banks Lake is pretty good, and you gotta love the laser show on the dam) Walla Walla puts you sorta close to Spring Mountain. But then again, if you wanted to live in some town with climbing/outdoor sports as your only criteria, you shouldn't be in the NW. Try any of the current trendy sport meccas: Bishop, Flagstaff, Moab, Bozeman....

Nope, never lived in Omak. Spent two years nearly slicing my wrists in Manson though. I'd chew my toes off before living in central washington again. I really like going to Mazama but the local transplants have a very elitist attitude, like they're glad they moved out there from Seattle but what the fuck are YOU doing there? You, you, you city person you. Now in Roy, they are glad for a little conversation, though it's usually in the form of you trying to talk your way out of a ticket.

Also: Enumclaw is nice if you're into Rainier and still need a job.

Organized militia? All of the badasses in the organized militia in Manson, who were predicting Doom on the eve of the year 2000 had a base camp in them thar mountains. On said eve of Doom, they were going to set up a defensive perimeter in the base camp to guard the barrels of food with imported chinese AK-47s and plot and scheme and attempt to steal a helicopter from the Chelan airport but what really happened is that the wives of these badasses told them they were staying home and watching fireworks on the TV instead. It's amazing what you can overhear in small town bars...

Yep, real americans in an american setting.

quote:

Originally posted by beefcider:
c'mon people, there are far better towns in the NW than I have seen posted here. Nobody mentioned <snip> Benton City <snip>

Uhhhhhh, that one's lost on me. Have you ever BEEN to Benton City? Do you know what POPULATES Benton City? We are talking about the little anachronistic narcosimulist commune upwind of Hanford, aren't we? Please to elucidate...

Yeah, Benton City? What are you thinking? Go with the downwind side of Hanford--it quite affordable, and you can grow a hell of a garden there!

You may want to consider the cosmopolitan Tri-Cities area of Richland, Kennewick and Pasco.

Richland is particularly nice. The high school team is named the "Bombers" and their mascot is the A-Bomb: rotate.gif

[ 04-06-2002: Message edited by: Uncle Tricky ]

Dudes! Benton City rocks! What, with the mecca of Umatilla not far away. Tasty lickins fer certain. A bit of lingering radiation never hurt anyone too terribly much. Yes, I've been there many times on my way to Flagstaff.

I would also add that Mossyrock is a fine, fine town itself. So is the bumpin town of Othello as well as Waterville.

I'd still vote for Mossyrock or Roy though.

quote:

Originally posted by beefcider:
Dudes! Benton City rocks! What, with the mecca of Umatilla not far away. <snip> So is the bumpin town of Othello as well as Waterville.

Oh, ok, now i get it! climberted gets the bum steer. You shouldn't have tipped him off to Othello, then. It *is* right next to The Potholes, just another Frenchman Coulee. I *think* you can still climb there, but I know the BLM/DNR/DFW frowns on totin' off the columns fer use as decorative driveway pillars... [Wazzup][hell no]