• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
climberted

Collest PNW town.............

So I'm lloking to move from the flat lands after school and was wondering what the coolest PNW town/city is. Or at least what you guys/girls think. Keep in mid cost of living, avaliable housing, etc.

BTW I've been a lurker for about a year so hello everyone tongue.gif" border="0

I think Wenatchee is pretty cool. Cost of living is quite reasonable (if you can find a decent job--could be a problem), and a sweet place to live if you're a climber--20 min. to Peshastin Pinnacles; 30 min. to Leavenworth; 35 min. to Vantage. Awesome rock climbing in the Summer--some decent ice in the Winter (usually). Great skiing as well (Mission Ridge 30 min. from town.)

Housing is readily availalbe and cheap--rented a brand new 1200 sf. apt. there 6 years ago for $495/month. Also a great place to buy a house--you can get a lot of bang for your buck.

And hell, you can't beat a town with a Wall Mart, Shopko, K-mart (the states biggest!), Target, Bi-Mart, and a Fred Meyer all within 10 min. of each other.--white trashers unite! (just joking). grin.gif" border="0

[ 01-17-2002: Message edited by: iceguy ]

Wenatchee or Levenworth. I'm looking for a small piece of property to build a get-a-way and screw the neighbor's wife cabin in Plain. Really a sweet area, but no work.

How about Ellensburg, WA. Small town with a college. Lots of rock climbing potential in Leavenworth, Frenchman Coulee and the Yakima crags. Close to the cascades and skiing, mountaineering, etc. It's located on the east side so the weather (in my opinion) is better than the rain on the west side. Four seasons (hot in the summer, cold in the winter) but not much in the way of snow. Also, if you're into fishing Ellensburg is near some of the best in the state. I have no idea what the cost of living is.

E-Burg can be cool...but it is very cowboy. If that is cool with you...you'll like it. I wouldn't call it a mountain town though.

quote:

Originally posted by Rookie of the Year:
Outside Magazine voted Bellingham the best outdoor sport city in the country.

The ol' kiss of death. i'm sure the locals are thrilled [laf]

[big Drink]

Offwidth No shit huh?! [laf] I vote Boulder the best mountain town in the world!

[ 01-18-2002: Message edited by: panther ]

Bellingham Sucks!!! There are no jobs here, the college girls are all ugly (except my girlfriend of course). The local rock is complete choss. The rivers are either too high gradient or totally flat and there is no climbing scene. The bike trails are mud puddles 10 months of the year. Save yourself the effort and move to Tacoma, the real jewel of the Pacific Northwest. wink.gif" border="0[big Drink]

[ 01-23-2002: Message edited by: avypoodle ]

Stay away from the PNW altogether and move a town in the Rockies. Though I have to admit the coolest place I've been is Bishop, CA. Every type of climbing or or outdoor pursuit is less than an hour away. Right next to Whitney and the Sierras, da Valley, and Toulumne. Near J-Tree and the Utah desert. Bad ass. Just no jobs at all.

Tacoma, like Matt P himself, is effortlessly cool.

There's a reason why it's called "The City of Destiny" and "The most wired city in America" (in terms of communications, household cable internet, etc.) Tacoma continues to improve while Seattle moulders in the manner of the eastern seaboard.

hood river, or is a nice town. expensive housing, enough jobs, a nice place. within a half hour of both mt adams and mt hood. great skiing. mt biking galore. some of best PNW kayaking and some say the worlds best wind surfing...

DAYTON,warshington for sure...you should move there as its close to everything my friends and I dont go to wink.gif" border="0 actually, Bham is nice and so is Goverment camp, ORegon

[ 02-12-2002: Message edited by: Szyjakowski ]

Plain Wa, Trask says, but Chumstick da hit if you have a Trailer and a broken down Camaro partially covered with a tattered old blue tarp, cheaper than Plain and only 6 miles uproad. Next move is Leavenworth, because they have Gustav's. TTT grin.gif" border="0

just wonderin winthrop twisp was my kida town.... but what are the climbing stats there? how far to alpine and rock.....and what kidns...thanks in advance [big Drink]

quote:

Originally posted by scott harpell:
just wonderin winthrop twisp was my kida town.... but what are the climbing stats there? how far to alpine and rock.....and what kidns...thanks in advance
[big Drink]

if you have to ask, then you probably dont want to go there......goat wall and fun rocks in mazama.....will provide the unassuming alpinist noting, where as washington pass and all its golden horn granite will rock your world......

Ritzville has the disctincion of being home to the "Ritzville Speed Trap." People flock from the world over to get speeding tickets in Ritzville!

But, if you did live in Ritzville, you'd likely be self employed, and minutes (!) from ice climbing. If you did live in Forks, you'd probably be a logger, and able to kick any climber's a$$ with one hand behind yer' back!

Just the facts of life, Seattle.. only sayin'... [big Drink]