snow pickets

jesse_mason

I was just wondering if any one has a easy way to carry pickets while climbing and activley placing them on steep snow sections. I find that I like to climb up with two each placed near my shoulders on my back pack shoulder straps, but when down climbing they jam into the snow so i have to switch them to my harness.If i keep them on my harness going up they get in the way of me feet. How do you guys do it?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I carry them with two biners clipped to the picket, one at the end and the other a few holes up from the other end. If you then clip a shoulder length sling to the biners, and put your head and one arm through the sling (like you would normally carry slings around your neck and one arm) the picket will stay tucked up against one side of your back. Works when wearing a pack to.

Then to place the picket you just pull the sling over head and unclip one biner and it already has a quickdraw. Confused? I am.

hey, you didn't skate in White Rock as kid did you?

you can make a "picket quiver" by finding/sewing a sack ~5" by ~ 20", attaching it someplace to you pack or whatever, and stash them in there. makes putting them away after use a lot easier. it's always a bit of a hassle.

dan larson just holds them in his teeth because he is a burly ass dude.

This is completely off topic, but just for grins you should test a picket sometime (maybe you already have). Place one as you normally would, and clip the rope to it. Then have a couple of buddies help pull on it. In most NW snow conditions, I believe you will find that pickets are not very strong, though they are better if placed horizontally.

As Matt mentions, pickets placed vertically are often useless unless placed in hard neve' in the summer/fall. 90% of the time I place pickets as a deadman.

Jesse, I am friends with David Larson (aka "stu") and Chris Wilson (he climbs now too) Remember being assaulted by the old man with the cane at the bus stop on 152nd. You were probably 12 years old or so at the time.

I have found pickets placed properly are bomber. Especially placed horizontally.

I think that the snow int eh PNW, Cascade Concrete, is generally better for pickets than in the Rockies.

In fact I use 18 inch pickets in hard summer snow all the time. Placed vertical they rock and ould hold your mom. In winter I switch to the 24 inch. If the snow is solid and consolidated and they are placed right they will hold your mom and Wopper's mom....(Lovely Linda the webmaster for poponfarm.com). wink.gif" border="0

Thomas: ya that is crazy I run into some one here that I know, I just found this site the other day. could you pass this email to chris i have been trying to locate him. jessemason74@hotmail.com we should all get some climbing done, preferably on ice, Im trying to set somethin up for spring break but my partner may not make it so..... see ya

Jesse, I'll pass on your email to Chris. I see him every so often at Vertical Reality in Surrey. I'm heading back to the island to work so spring is out for me, but maybe I'll see you out in the hills some time. Rumour has it you're a bit taller than when I last saw you 14 years ago or so. Me and Dave are still short asses. Good luck with those pickets.