Belay Jackets?

Dane

One of the bigger retailers just sent me a Arcteryx Dually @ 499, Norrøna Lyngen $378, the newest Patagonia DAS @ $300 and a Mtn Hardware Compressor Hoody @190. The idea is to make a direct comparison to the $265 Eddier Bauer XV and directly against one another.

I am going to try to get Feathered Friends to loan me a Front Point @ $429, Wild Things to chip in a Belay Jacket @ $295 and Marmot to loan me a Mammut hooded Ambler @$300.

Any other jacket that you think should be compared I am missing?

Anyone interested in pictures and the details of my observations?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dane,

sounds like you have it all covered. And yes I am interested. Even if I am going to pick up the Compressor Hoody no matter what. Will get a good price. But prior to that I was always checking out the Wild things products for synth belay jacket.

have fun with your project.

sounds like a good project! I'll be interested to see your opinions. Personally, I'd like to see more down-filled models in the mix -- but that's just me. Having decades of experience with down, I'm willing to put up with the risk of getting it wet, and the extra precautions I need to take to keep it dry in warm/wet conditions... currently, I have a 1970s vintage Holubar Colorado Parka that I use in subzero conditions, and a Marmot Zeus jacket that, at 12-oz, is more efficient for the closer to freezing temps. If its warm enough to rain, I just layer up in fleece because the primaloft jacket I bought a couple of years ago didn't survive my epic last June. Note that the Marmot Zeus has no hood. I don't really miss it because I usually carry a light balaclava and full warm hat. no hood might be a dealbreaker for some, but it isn't for me. Still, I'd like to see a few more down versions in your test mix. Also, the Montbell brand appears to be missing - and they have several tops, both primaloft and down, that I'd like to see in your comparison. How about including at least one down and one synthetic Montbell item?

-Curt

Agreed on montbell, I have one of their old down coats and my girl friend has the thermawrap parka and they are both really solid LIGHT pieces that cost way less then the equivalents. though I think they use their own insulation that sounds similar to primaloft 1:

"Exceloft insulation uses 8-denier polyester threads as a structure to intertwine with extra thin 0.7-denier threads that add more air pockets and resilience. As a result, Exceloft products rival the warmth and weight of down products. Exceloft excels in wet conditions: because the fibers used in Exceloft retain less than 1% of their weight in water, Exceloft will keep you warm even when wet."

from http://www.montbell.us/products/techinfo/material/

Also be aware that they use japanese sizing.

How about tossing in the North Face Redpoint Optimus?

http://www.thenorthface.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=38581&storeId=207&catalogId=10201&langId=-1&from=subCat&parent_category_rn=11702&variationId=04H

I just picked one up on sale and it seems to have much in common, though a few ounces heavier, with the Compressor and the Atom.

Edited by tiaga

just picked up a PAIR of Marmot Cauldrons on Steep and Cheap for $59 apiece. couldn't resist, so got one for me, and one for my son. I'll let ya know once I've put one through its paces, but it looks to be a good wet-weather puffy, and at that price, could turn out to be just a townie jacket without makin' me feel bad...

-Curt

what i do know is that my front point jacket is too warm. Worked out nice when i was not climbing and was stopped for a break. But even unzipped at 0 degrees on rainier last year it was too warm to wear while climbing. Definitely made for really cold weather climbing. Just my 2 cents. Ps if feathered friends wont let you borrow one you can borrow mine. Give me a call Dane

206-940-1652

Brandon

Edited by brandonmc

what i do know is that my front point jacket is too warm. Worked out nice when i was not climbing and was stopped for a break. But even unzipped at 0 degrees on rainier last year it was too warm to wear while climbing.

Thats how a belay jacket should be. They aren't meant for long periods of movement, just for when you are resting or belaying unless it's really cold.

I'm completly sold on the Mammut Stratus hooded jacket. Weighs 2 pounds and has kept me warm through sub zero montana winter climbing and a lot of cold damp cascade climbing. Almost two years of very heavy use (three winters because I spent one of our summers in Peru) and I'm just now starting to want a new one.

MAMMUT stratus on sale for 152 at STP. look around and you can find an additional 15-20% off that + free shipping.

all sizes but M, must be willing to wear jacket color that makes you lose your appetite.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/Product.aspx?baseno=44776&plp=Mammut_Stratus_Insulated_Hooded_Jacket_-_For_Men http://www.sierratradingpost.com/Product.aspx?baseno=44776&plp=Mammut_Stratus_Insulated_Hooded_Jacket_-_For_Men