Asolo Cholatse - Narrow or Wide?

groupb

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jens is a stud plain and simple. To me, his opinion is worth some serious consideration most likely quite spot on.

Asolos are all over the place that I have notices (although I have not tried the Cholatse).

Their Powermatic backpacking boot fits narrow and like a dream (for me). Their Makalu fit wide and sloppy for my foot.

Here's another corroboration of Jens' take (last post from another reliable source):

Kayland M11 vs. Asolo Cholatse

I say find them and give them a whirl! I'm tempted too...

Troy

I waited a couple of hours today hoping someone would explain the two opposing reports, then went ahead & ordered the Cholatse after rereading Jens' post about his Cholatses being narrower than any of his 5 other pairs of ice boots, including 3 Sportivas.

Thanks, Troy, for confirming my choice of who to listen to.

Bill

First question I would ask is which 3 pairs of Sportiva did you climb in exactly? And when? Sportiva has several lasts; Trango, Nuptse and Nepal. All are different and all have changed a bit in the last 10 years. One of the three fits my narrow feet. The others suck.

No one mentioned that the Cholatse flexes in the sole in the larger sizes...a good bit. Totally bogus for climbing on steep, sustained ice for me. But something I'd want to check in smaller sizes.

I would always suggest you try on any boot and see how it fits YOUR foot no matter the feedabck you have heard. Hopefull Bill will get his and add to the info data base.

Troy found that the Kaylands fit him just as they did me..medium to narrow. The Apex is one of the best fitting boots around for my foot just not what I need for warmth or support.

What you guys should be asking if you are really concerned about boot fit is what size the guy recommending them is on a Branock device.

I'm a 11.5 B with a AA heel on the Brannock and off the Branock really skinny ankles. Opinions are like your mouth, everyone has one. Trust what comes out of your own.. Everyone else is suspect.

No one mentioned that the Cholatse flexes in the sole in the larger sizes...a good bit. Totally bogus for climbing on steep, sustained ice for me. But something I'd want to check in smaller sizes.

I find that even with the silver Trango Extremes vs. Nepal EVO's in the larger sizes. That sole flex translated to noticeable instability on vert ice for me. Thanks for giving that insight on the Cholatse.

I would always suggest you try on any boot and see how it fits YOUR foot no matter the feedabck you have heard. Hopefull Bill will get his and add to the info data base.

It may fit like a glove or suck worse than this weeks weather. Let us know what you find Bill.

The sole flex issue has been confusing (to me). For mixed, salespeople (I hear your warning, Dane) have been recommending boots that I find have less sole rigidity than the Nepals (in 45+ sizes). My pitches of recent mixed convinced me (1) the Nepals were plenty rigid, and (2) this 'ol body needs more than my Trango Evo S can offer. I had hoped the Cholatse's rigidity would be close to the Nepal's. Fortunately, I have 30 days to test & return the Cholatses.

Background: I'm about ready to return my Nepals after weeks of trying different sizes, sock combis & lacing, despite knowing they are THE boot for my needs - just can't get a stable fit.

Thanks for the help,

Bill

Just an observation and I may be way off so please stay with me for a moment. Just want to make sure we are discussing/feeling ankle flexibility, verses ankle support, verses sole flex.

I'm in 45s across the board and in Sportiva and can flex the Batura a bit and none on the Trango Evo Extreme silver bullet or Nepal.

But for ankle flex/support the Batura is super soft..makes a good hiking boot imo except for the damn stiff sole, just enough flex in the sole to make them work very good in that situation..long hikes to cold day climbs. The Silver Trango is only slightly better on ankle support but useable short term on steep stuff becasue it has a rigid sole but just not enough ankle support to my liking. The Nepal offers me decent ankle support and a rigid sole for longer sections of steep ice.

But for modern mixed most like/reccomend a soft ankle...makes the boot climb more like a rock shoe than a decent mountain boot from the past. I would as well for what mixed I do. But for most ice I prefer good ankle support to ease calf strain.

One reason I am a big fan of the support a dbl boot offers on long sections of moderate alpine ice. Even though the dbl is a harder to climb in on hard technical mixed ground. Never seems to bother the big boys :)

I have had Cholatses for a couple seasons, and picked up Nepal Evos this year. My Cholatses were size 43 1/3, Nepals are 44s. If I did it again, I would have gone the next size up in the Cholatses (but still a .5 size down from my street size). Cholatse fits my foot like a (loose) rock shoe, applying even pressure all the way down the forefoot. Volume IS way lower in forefoot than Nepal. Nepals have a very roomy toebox, Cholatses do not. I mostly use rigid Rambo4 crampons, so sole stiffness was not my biggest concern (aside from being sstiff enough to stay in the bails). I do use old BD bionics on occasion, and the cholatse's flex has never bothered me. No matter how tight you crank the Cholatse, for better or worse, you will not get much ankle support.

My Cholatse GVs (GTX) arrived but are WAY bigger than any 12 I have ever seen: they measure 12.25" INSIDE which on one chart indicates size 14! One climber has first dibs, but if other Portland bigfoots want to check out the fit, pm me. I need to avoid shipping. [see todays yard sale] Note: to test sole stiffness, I place the heel against my chest & try to bend the toe by pulling toward me. These boots gave the most resistance of any non-plastic boot I've tested - even stiffer than my new 46 Nepals! And as Trogdor points out, these are not as "roomy" in the toe box as the Nepals. Asolo reports they are "narrow with high volume - offering a good fit to a wide range of feet."

Edited by groupb