Alpine/Mountaineering Newbie

b-rock

Ok y'all, here it is, the newbie post. Relatively new to the NW and itching to climb some of the big beautiful volcanoes out here. I'm fit, have tons of backpacking experience, tons of downhill ski experience (w/ some semi-foolish backcountry adventures) and a few of the walk ups - Helens, Adams, S Sister. Oh, and I'm one of those assmunches who paid RMI to guide me to the top of Rainier last September (really thought I'd get more instruction and less babysitting, but that's my own damn fault).

So how to get the skills? I'm comfortable with crampons and self arrest but that's it. Got book smarts and have learned about the basics - running belays, crevasse rescue, etc. but have no practical experience. Classes? Mazamas (I'm in Portland)? Ugh, cough, Mountaineers (sorry, new here but stumbled on the thread)? smile.gif" border="0 Have many friends, but none with more experience than me - though willing to learn, so good books and ease into practicing and learning skills.

Thanks.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

b-rock, you've come to the right place. there are a lot of warm and generous people willing to take the time to show a newbie the ropes. you should take everyone's advice here very seriously.

you probably wnt to stay away from dan larson though; he sucks.

b-rock

i will go to index to climb if you want. glaicers are boring and for old people with no upper body strength....oh wait i got no upper body strength. well glaicer are for old people.....

but i will still go to index with you.

i guess there are some other rock climbing areas near seattle but i haven't been there in years. maybe someone else will offer up their local knowledge on those......

Im gonna suggest that you focus on just climbing peaks and not specifically volcanoes you will find it a lot more enjoyable in the long run. Scrambling ridges on good rock is much more rewarding than slogging up a wanded path on a glaciated volcano with hundreds of other climbers swarming around you.

Thanks. Have car. Works good. I drive fast, though.

Definately interested in climbing peaks in general, just the volcanoes are all the ones I can see from here, sometimes. Scree sucks.

My upper body strength sucks crap. I try though. Almost all my wall climbing is indoors, and most of that just bouldering. Would love to climb some rock.

Anyone have thoughts on the Mazamas?

Greg m , tell me that is not really your picture on the bio.You look like one of those pussy No go 's or reserves that undid the blank adapter to make it look like the government would actually trust him with a weapon. Dan larson sucks ( you don't know him , but he sucks you are one original pussy.Starch those fatigues you miserable LEG. Also polish the entire boot ...pussy wanna be legs have always made me sick....look ma I am a Army Man. Worse yet don't even say ROTC. Rag Bag get stract troop

[ 01-08-2002: Message edited by: Dan Larson ]

quote:

Originally posted by Dan Larson:
Greg m , tell me that is not really your picture on the bio.You look like one of those pussy No go 's or reserves that undid the blank adapter to make it look like the government would actually trust him with a weapon. Dan larson sucks ( you don't know him , but he sucks you are one original pussy.Starch those fatigues you miserable LEG. Also polish the entire boot ...pussy wanna be legs have always made me sick....look ma I am a Army Man. Worse yet don't even say ROTC. Rag Bag get stract troop

Shut the hell up Larson... you suck! And don't be tryin' to get in tight with the butt pirate bros either... you're too loose, Stool. Eat this Larson [Moon] you know you want it... tongue.gif" border="0

[ 01-09-2002: Message edited by: trask ]

quote:

Originally posted by Dan Larson:
Starch those fatigues you miserable LEG.

dan, i didn't starch my BDUs past my second week of basic training. i didn't realize the way to not be a pussy is to make your clothes all shiny and stiff like [laf] that picture was taken a few years back as a joke and i posted it on my bio in a similar vein, but i guess you take yourself too seriously to see the humor in anything else. and yes dan, i was in the real army for three years, including a year in korea on the DMZ getting up every morning to run laps around foul shit smelling rice paddies. i was a damn good tank gunner too grin.gif" border="0 ; i shot better my first gunnery than guys who had been doing it for years and they told me so. i was always getting tagged anytime something needed to be done right, which usually meant covering for some all-puffed-up-for-nothing fuck-ups like you. rolleyes.gif" border="0

ok dan, i asked for it, let's hear your war story...

whatever it is you still suck [laf][laf][laf]

Thanks. What about the AAI / Mountain Madness / RMI courses - anyone ever taken them? I was on a guided RMI two day climb and learned jack shit. The 'on to Everest' comment seemd right on. I wonder if their 'more intensive' alpine mountaineering classes are more of the same (case in point, for RMI, the pre-req to the Denali climb is the week long mountaineering course). Go figure.

Spray on! smile.gif" border="0

if you want compentent instruction make sure oyu go through an amga certified guide. do not use the "i have the summer off from college so i want to be a moutian guide cause i think it is a cool job" complanies. thats like having me take you climbing and charging you money. sure most companies have a couple amga guides on staff but unless you pay the big bucks you ain't gettin one.

amga certifeid independent guides are the way too go, you won't get that cattle feeling.

I am not gonna trade war stories with you . I was in the peace time army.I did however graduate from jump and ranger school. So I am not easily impressed by a fantastic gunner. "They told me so" what a riot did your mommy tell you anything that you believed? They probably had you doing all that stuff because you are so gullible. Kind of the Tom Sawyer strategy.And yes the starch , polish all of it is a part of the discipline thing. Whether it is useful or not is irrelevant.I knew some guys who were on the DMZ you make it seem like you were actually doing some fighting Har de har har.Glorified guard duty.Did you get one of those silk jackets with the dragon on the back and your units crest. You did didn't you and you wear it on dates to impress the dudes in the bathhouse

[ 01-09-2002: Message edited by: Dan Larson ]