WI7+?

marc_leclerc

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

seems like WI7+ is a grade that does one of two things.

A) inflates water ice grades

B) accounts for the danger of the climb, mental aspect (a la E scale in GB or Aid).

I don't really know, but my understanding of the scale was that WI, much like Aid was not open ended like YDS, French, British, etc. I don't climb that hard so I won't say it's not WI7+. Whatever the grade it's a sick sick sick line!

I can tell you all from experience that the ice climbs in Austria tend to be graded about a full number grade softer than in Banff. So stuff they call WI4 is only WI3 in Banff, etc. Not sure if it translates here, but Gene's comment about that route looking similar to Stanley Headwall seems about right....most of those routes are consensus 6 or sometimes 6+.

The article mentions a project from Will Gadd called "second choice". A quick google search turned up nothing - does anyone have a link for that climb?

To me, conditions seem similar to the Terminator wall in Canada, but it's tough to tell from the photos supplied. In the first photo I spy more than a few rest stops. I will agree that the traverse would be pretty dicey with bad pro leading to swinging falls, but I'm not sure the climbing is hard enough to merit the grade

I can tell you all from experience that the ice climbs in Austria tend to be graded about a full number grade softer than in Banff. So stuff they call WI4 is only WI3 in Banff, etc. Not sure if it translates here, but Gene's comment about that route looking similar to Stanley Headwall seems about right....most of those routes are consensus 6 or sometimes 6+.

sounds like someone need to go climb the unrepeated Matriarch in Hylite: WI 7 5.11+, gear. Take a look at what real WI7 looks like. WI7 is supposed to be similar to A5; No gear that would hold on countinous overhanging delicate ice with a crappy anchor. Can't blame them for never climbing on Hylite or Cody.

sounds like someone need to go climb the unrepeated Matriarch in Hylite: WI 7 5.11+, gear. Take a look at what real WI7 looks like. WI7 is supposed to be similar to A5; No gear that would hold on countinous overhanging delicate ice with a crappy anchor. Can't blame them for never climbing on Hylite or Cody.

that was the first example that popped into my mind too. Alex Lowe's bold lines are the real deal

[img:center]http://www.gore-ljudje.net/objave/promo/Centercourt4.jpg[/img]

It is amazing achievement!

Centercourt is no. 2.

No.3 is 7- and unrepeated.

BTW,

There is discussion at European forums now that climbers put spit there which is against the "ice climbing ethic". I am not very familiar with the "rules".

http://www.bergsteigen.at/de/bericht.aspx?ID=13543

Edited by Zoran

[img:center]http://www.gore-ljudje.net/objave/promo/Centercourt4.jpg[/img]

It is amazing achievement!

Centercourt is no. 2.

No.3 is 7- and unrepeated.

http://www.bergsteigen.at/de/bericht.aspx?ID=13543

BTW,

There is discussion at European forums now that climbers put spit there which is against the "ice climbing ethic". I am not very familiar with the "rules".

Generally doesn't look any different then Trophy or SGH in The Rockies. None of these routes are graded WI7+. General consensus among visiting climbers from the Alps, most of the grades there are about 1/2 to full grades easier- so a WI6 in the Alps would be WI5/5+ in the Rockies. The exception might be Norway.

The other thing is that there are fewer ice climbers there, particularly climbing harder grades), so these routes go unrepeated for years, while in the Rockies they instantly get gang-banged by locals, so the grades get corrected quicker and there is less tendency to overrate.

Edited by glassgowkiss

Mark, two Slovenians repeated Centrercourt last weekend. Both of them are more famous in Europe than here in Canada and USA,Aljaž Anderle in Klemen Premrl.

I embedded lager pic for you to see complexity of the place. Sorry guys. If you think it's too large just reply and I will crop it.

Enjoy!

Zoran

centrecourt_0010.JPG

Edited by Zoran

• 2 weeks later...