Michigan Lake Ice

Berry

Hello CCC!

Came to this site while searching for ice cleats, crampons, etc. I am a professional photographer from Saint Joseph, Michigan and often take shots of our local lighthouse and surrounding icescapes. I want to go just a bit further with my images and that means I need to get out further on the ice for my shots. Lake Michigan can be a formidable place in the warm months but extremely dangerous in the winter. The city is constantly warning local residents in the winter to be very aware of climbing on the ice due to movement. Ok what I am doing is nothing compared to what you folks are engaging in. I have the utmost respect for you guys and gals who decide to push the limits of the body as well as your mind when you take on the challenge of climbing.

My concern has to do with getting a good grip on the ice and snow. I have looked on the internet for ice cleats which there is a pair from REI or other places called Kahtoola MICROspikes Traction System. http://www.rei.com/product/774966 This system seems pretty good but wondering if I need to take it a step further-no pun intended! Also wondering if having an ice axe, climbing axe, would be a wise decision.

You can view my blog at http://DickBerryPhotography.com to get a better idea of the type of conditions I am referring to. Even better go to this post: http://www.dickberryphotography.com/2009/01/18/images-from-southwestern-michigan/

Thanks for your help and suggestions in advance!

Dick

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

dick,

as a michigander I can say that an ice axe probably won't be helping you there, but 'trekking poles' will give more stability (make sure you're using metal, and not rubber tips). I have microspikes and while they will improve your passage over ice dramatically, compared to nothing, it is possible that a full strap-on-crampon would really give you the best security. That said, have you looked into the types of spikes they sell for ice-fisherman? If I remember correctly they attach like microspikes but have actual spikes that are larger than most crampon spikes (unless my childhood ice fishing on lake erie memories are tricking me). Generally, I'd expect those to be cheaper than crampons -- though getting a used pair of crampons shouldn't be too expensive.

also, pick yourself up a pack of those chemical 7hr hand-warmer things if you don't already have them. Could make a big difference in keeping your fingers nimble with the camera in cold weather.

love the shots, cheers!

dick,

as a michigander I can say that an ice axe probably won't be helping you there, but 'trekking poles' will give more stability (make sure you're using metal, and not rubber tips). I have microspikes and while they will improve your passage over ice dramatically, compared to nothing, it is possible that a full strap-on-crampon would really give you the best security. That said, have you looked into the types of spikes they sell for ice-fisherman? If I remember correctly they attach like microspikes but have actual spikes that are larger than most crampon spikes (unless my childhood ice fishing on lake erie memories are tricking me). Generally, I'd expect those to be cheaper than crampons -- though getting a used pair of crampons shouldn't be too expensive.

also, pick yourself up a pack of those chemical 7hr hand-warmer things if you don't already have them. Could make a big difference in keeping your fingers nimble with the camera in cold weather.

love the shots, cheers!

Thanks for your suggestions! I have considered crampons just for the fact that I would definitely have better grip. I do have a pair of YakTrak or Trax. You probably know of them-rubber slip ons that fit over your boots with small metal spikes in the bottom of them. I have recently come across something similar that when you loose a stud you can actually replace them. Gee I thought about screwing some lag bolts into the bottom of my boots-about the same thing and cheaper. Thanks again maybe someone on this site has a pair of used crampons that might do the job. Thanks for the comment on my images!