Tieton bouldering/scrambling in the winter?

damage

Is it possible to get some scrambling/bouldering in there?

I haven't been there, at all. I'm being lazy by asking first rather than taking my beater volvo over there to see for myself.

Can't do gym or snow sports (for lack of $ and gear). Has me feeling a bit crazed.

I'm not some hard core boulderer either, I'm good with the easy stuff or the short stuff or the low stuff, although I'd love a short chimney/wide crack to practise in.

Heck, I'd be happy with a traverse, should be able to do that most anywhere.

Anyway, thanks.

Edited by damage

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is bouldering, check out Jim Yoder's guide to Tieton, it's in there. I have not done it so I cannot attest to the quality. But Kloochman Rock may present some good scrambling although the rock can be kind of loose.

Good luck

I'm sure you could get on something there but I think the established bouldering is pretty far up a fs road that would be snowed in. You will have better luck in leavenworth. Kelly Sheridan's guide even lists some suggested winter projects (stuff that is steep enough to stay dryish and gets sun or is sheltered from the wind).

I have had some great days post holing through the snow to get to the forest lands and other south facing areas and finding most of it dry and snow free. The snow even improves some landings, though I would suggest a crash pad or at least a carpet scrap to keep your feet dry.

There are some wide cracks at swiftwater north including a heel toe roof.

Edited by ryanb

thanks ARob and ryanb for the info.

i had plans to visit the tieton canyon area after reading the wcc page tieton on wcc.

I ran into a couple of trs with pics and getting-there info making the area look like a nice place to explore (plus cheap/free parking).

and although leavenworth sounds great, i'm staying nearby-ish to oly and low alt 'cause my car isn't set up for snow and ice.

Camping is free in the closed (snow covered) camp grounds in leavenworth in the winter (just make sure you park off the road and bring a shovel to dig out your car if the plow comes by during the night) and the drive should be about the same in terms of time and elevation.

Kevin speaks the truth as to the quality and current access of the biggest bouldering area in the Tieton. That said, there are also two highly accessible, smaller bouldering areas (Cozies and Metal Shop) that are on the opposite side of the river between The Bend and Moon Rocks. There are bridges at either end for approach. The parking areas are right on the side of the highway. There is a suspension footbridge at The Bend, and a wooden box bridge (no handrails) at the Moon Rocks end. Access from The Bend (the downstream end) requires the WSDF&W parking sticker (~$12, or free with purchase of a fishing and/or hunting license), or else it's a $66 fine if they ticket you. You will know you are at The Bend when you see the old metal Quonset hut on the side of the road at the parking area. Parking at the Moon Rocks end is free, but the hike to the bouldering wall from there is a tad bit longer than it is from The Bend's parking area.

ARob also mentioned Kloochman Rock above. I used to run up and down the SE and SW sides of Kloochman after work for training when I lived in The Palm Springs of Washington. It's a nice jaunty run through the woods and up a scratch trail followed by a very loose scramble to the summit, and the roundtrip could be done in 50 minutes or less (C2C, in the summer), including chugging my mandatory summit beer (yes, even in training, I require a summit reward). In winter, you would have to access the extreme western end of Kloochman from the South Fork Tieton River Loop Road off Highway 12. In winter, approach Kloochman as you would approach the Goose Egg Mountain climbs in summer. See the aforementioned Jim Joder/Marlene Ford guide, Tieton River Rocks.

219973.jpg

Have fun! :wave:

pm me directions, will ya?

i did make an attempt to find it, but after an hour through yelm traffic/sprawl, i wished i'd headed to seattle.

i wasn't sure about the access road because the one i thought it was, had a no trespassing sign on it, figured it was the wrong one.

Edited by damage

i wasn't sure about the access road because the one I thought it was, had a no trespassing sign on it, figured it was the wrong one.

I already did. Go south on I-5 past Centralia and take Exit 68 for US 12. Drive east on US 12 over White Pass to the Dry Side. Moon Rocks parking area is at MP 180.5 and The Bend parking area is at MP 182.2 or so. There is a big metal Quonset hut at The Bend's parking area. There are no "acess roads" to worry about. The parking areas are right on the side of US 12. Just pull over and park it, then get out and walk across the bridge.

Hey sobo, thanks for the very nice directions.

I should'a quoted drederek on this one. I was asking for a pm on directions to Fossil Rock, which is where i didn't have much to go on when i ran into the no trespassing sign. I've got a fear of tickets.

i wasn't sure about the access road because the one I thought it was, had a no trespassing sign on it, figured it was the wrong one.

I already did. Go south on I-5 past Centralia and take Exit 68 for US 12. Drive east on US 12 over White Pass to the Dry Side. Moon Rocks parking area is at MP 180.5 and The Bend parking area is at MP 182.2 or so. There is a big metal Quonset hut at The Bend's parking area. There are no "acess roads" to worry about. The parking areas are right on the side of US 12. Just pull over and park it, then get out and walk across the bridge.

But these are perfect, I was just checking out some trip reports around the net for more info, and you posted up just what i was looking for.

hey ryanb, i'd love to get up to leavenworth.

ugh, traffic congestion going north makes trips a lot longer. and travels along 12 are quick, despite well monitored speed traps.

Carpooling north would be cool, but i'm not very strong/experienced yet and don't want to be a tagalong with peeps who are more winterized than i. so nearish, day hikeish, sleeping in the carish, shortish trips are good.

I could also be completely off my rocker, and just need to suck it up until spring. all things considered, bald tires + lack of $ are limitations.

Camping is free in the closed (snow covered) camp grounds in leavenworth in the winter (just make sure you park off the road and bring a shovel to dig out your car if the plow comes by during the night) and the drive should be about the same in terms of time and elevation.

Edited by damage

I work in Oly, but live in Tacoma. From Oly, I've always figured that (depending partly on the time of year) there MUST be quicker ways to get to the Tieton than driving down I-5 past Centrailerish, only to make a big elbow turn back east; e.g., heading through Yelm/McKenna to Elbe to Morton, or even quicker in spring/fall, through Yelm/McKenna to Elbe, then over Skate Creek Road to Packwood, or in summer, simply heading up I-5 to Tacoma, then over 410 and Cayuse Pass. Via the latter route from Tacoma, I can make it to certain Tieton crags in 2:15 sometimes.

I do believe there's a much better Tieton bouldering area on the horizon than anything in Yoder's guide.

The easiest way to get to Fossil is thru yelm to 5 corners, theres an am/pm there, and veer right onto Bald Hills rd. Follow it past Piessner rd and the gated Clear lake community (small store at gate one) to a huge gravel road thats gated. park here and walk/ride about 2 miles to a road angling up and right from the main line directly across from another road (which is an extension of the piessner road, might be parking issues at that gate) Follow this up about a mile choosing the steeper options and you'll eventually end up on top of Fossil rock.

Thank you much Drederek.

I think I took a left onto Piessner last time and wasn't sure what to look for. I ended up at the road's end, near a huge gated gravel road. Your directions seem a bit simpler.

The easiest way to get to Fossil is thru yelm to 5 corners, theres an am/pm there, and veer right onto Bald Hills rd. Follow it past Piessner rd and the gated Clear lake community (small store at gate one) to a huge gravel road thats gated. park here and walk/ride about 2 miles to a road angling up and right from the main line directly across from another road (which is an extension of the piessner road, might be parking issues at that gate) Follow this up about a mile choosing the steeper options and you'll eventually end up on top of Fossil rock.

The fact that you got within a coupla miles without much info bodes well for your future explorations. Theres a side road (third after turning off the mainline) that'll lead you into what was called fern gully, a low swampy area with lots of boulders and very easy to get lost in. Staying on the mainline to the next road on the right leads to more boulders and a view of Fossil rock from the east. Have a ball!

• 3 weeks later...