kevbone

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as imposing one's ethics on others it occured to me that Pope and Dwayner really aren't all that traditional. In a larger, historical perspective many of the manners in which they choose to climb would probably be considered unethical by previous generations. Chalk, harness, sticky rubber, even using ropes at one time were considered technilogical advances that gave climbers unfair advantages and were to be avoided.

Pope claims that techniques such as bolting, hangdogging, and rehearsing have unfairly led to the capability to climb higher grades but couldn't the same be said about modern climbing shoes and cams (and surely a lot of other gear Pope and Dwayner have used, such as sweater vests, etc.)?

Where one draws a line and claims further advances in the sport are unethical is effectively a completely arbitrary and subjective deliniation. Climbers are always going to be adopting new strategies, techniques, and tools in order to climb bigger steeper and harder things. Such is human nature.

That being said, I think Pope and Dwayner make some legitimate points about over-bolting and unfettered bolting in the wilderness / mountains. But unfortunately any rational arguments get drowned out by their absolutism and will to impose their ethics and style upon others.

With any public advocacy, credible proponents help, and clownish ones hurt.

Nuff said there.

you sure hurt a lot of causes, Bozo

While I expect the predictable skid mark from you, let's take a look at your beliefs since I first logged on. In the beginning, you were a raving Bush/neocon supporter, ghey averse as hell, corporation cock sucker, and global warming denier.

Now, you essentially believe what I do across the board, with minor differences. My beliefs, however, haven't really changed much during that same period.

Go figure.

That being said, I think Pope and Dwayner make some legitimate points about over-bolting and unfettered bolting in the wilderness / mountains. But unfortunately any rational arguments get drowned out by their absolutism and will to impose their ethics and style upon others.

And how have our ethics and style opinions been IMPOSED upon you?

What? They haven't?

Have either of us stopped you from siege climbing at the crags (if that's what you're in to)?

A bunch of you all seem 'fraid about ideas and such!

let's take a look at your beliefs since I first logged on. In the beginning, you were a raving Bush/neocon supporter, ghey averse as hell, corporation cock sucker, and global warming denier.

you're way off, as usual. best go back to your meds

Far off? Really? Prove it. Where do our policy beliefs differ, IYHO?

For one thing you are a self-described Democrat with a capital D. I don't identify with a party - parties are disgusting amalgamations of compromise and alliances driven by greed for money and power.

When given a choice between one piece of shit and another, we choose a different steaming pile. In your case you "support" your pile of shit. In my case I tolerate it. Hardly any "raving support" on my side, especially for specific political figures or a party as a whole.

Where one draws a line and claims further advances in the sport are unethical is effectively a completely arbitrary and subjective deliniation. Climbers are always going to be adopting new strategies, techniques, and tools in order to climb bigger steeper and harder things. Such is human nature.

New strategies, techniques, and tools are one thing, but in general all I usually ever ask for is at least a shred of 'take-off-the-blinders' honesty around there being nothing either arbitrary nor subjective about millions of bolts in stone.

let's take a look at your beliefs since I first logged on. In the beginning, you were a raving Bush/neocon supporter, ghey averse as hell, corporation cock sucker, and global warming denier.

you're way off, as usual. best go back to your meds

He is not way off. He pretty much nails it.

New strategies, techniques, and tools are one thing, but in general all I usually ever ask for is at least a shred of 'take-off-the-blinders' honesty around there being nothing either arbitrary nor subjective about millions of bolts in stone.

i think most people are completely honest about their efforts...i for one, have always expressed how long and hard i got beat down on a particular project before i managed it with no falls...shoot, alot of times, i couldn't even do all the moves...

Likewise, its a well known fact that sharma will literally try one of his cutting edge projects over many many seasons...

I don't think that's pope and dwayner's point...in fact, i don't much understand their point...they seem to not want people to do something that those people enjoy for some stupid reason...

Edited by RuMR

i think most people are completely honest about their efforts...i for one, have always expressed how long and hard i got beat down on a particular project before i managed it with no falls...shoot, alot of times, i couldn't even do all the moves...

Likewise, its a well known fact that sharma will literally try one of his cutting edge projects over many many seasons...

I don't think that's pope and dwayner's point...in fact, i don't much understand their point...they seem to not want people to do something that those people enjoy for some stupid reason...

The point about honesty is about the 'advancement' of climbing didn't come at no cost, it involved the installation of millions of bolts which attracted hundreds of thousands of people to the sport out of which a very small pool of folks 'advanced' the sport.

It's definitely a non-issue if you have no problem with the proliferation of bolts and climbers.

Added to list

Dwayner and Pope could/can get a big group consensus if they stick to a couple core issues

• Don't Bolt Cracks
  • Don't overbolt routes (bolt every 3 feet)
  • Don't violate established local ethics. (Gunks) and as in don't rap bolt or use power drills in areas that are traditionally ground up and/or hand drill. (Toulome/Yosemite)

I don't see them doing that though.

I doubt that folks will be commonly running off to the hills and larger mountains carrying 20 lbs of heavy power drilling crap at all anytime soon. Carrying all that stuff works well only when you are relatively close to your car.

I don't know everything there is to know about Timson, but his climb on Givler's Dome is a superb example of restrained bolting and ground-up climbing. I recall having a far more favorable opinion of chasing bolts when there were just a few routes like that to be found in Leavenworth. Regarding Midnight Rock photos, I have a few that I thought were pretty nice, scanned from Ektachrome slides. Pretty sure they're on my work computer so give me a day or two.

The point about honesty is about the 'advancement' of climbing didn't come at no cost, it involved the installation of millions of bolts which attracted hundreds of thousands of people to the sport out of which a very small pool of folks 'advanced' the sport.

It's definitely a non-issue if you have no problem with the proliferation of bolts and climbers.

I generally like people and feel that more will actually improve access...ie. climbers will likely BUY index out right to protect access...