kevbone

BTW: 5.15??? Usually a sport-climber's version of siege climbing. Rehearse,fall rehearse, fall, rehearse, repeat as necessary...weeks later

Rain....please tell me what is wrong with this style of climbing? Besides the bolts....because I have sieged the hell out of certain cracks that I wanted to send....all on gear.

O.K. dude...I'll try to explain it simply. I kind of like you even though you come off as Forrest Gump with typing skills...Actually I think you're smarter than most people around here give you credit.

It's like this...can you walk up to a 5.9/5.10 and get your fat body up that thing? Good for you! You're a 5.9/5.10 climber. Now if you did that same climb, and had to rehearse the difficult moves over and over again until you got it wired, is that the same same thing as having the ability to approach it and do the route because you're up for it? Are you now a 5.9/5.10 climber? I don't think so. I believe the same thing about many of these so-called "cutting edge" routes. Most of them require weeks of rehearsal, that is, siege climbing, which in my book, at least, is not the same as having the ability to "on-site" something because you have the developed strength and skill. Early in my climbing career, if someone was "free-climbing" a route, and hung off the rope: "hang-dogging", they were often booed and told to come back when they were up to the challenge. I happen to agree with this philosophy. I also believe that even you, Kevbone, can climb 5.12 and above given enough rehearsal time. It might take you months,rather than weeks, but you might very well pull off a 5.13. And for those who claim that sport-climbing and hang-doggin' has allowed them to get strong enough to do hard routes, there are enough indoor gyms around these days to help you "get strong" where there's no excuse to express your inadequacies on real rock by siege climbing. Can't do the route without falling? Pull the rope and start over or come back when you're good enough, but don't equate free-climbing with siege climbing....it's an illusion of numbers. There still aren't alot of climbers who can do anything 5.13 or above without resorting to rehearsal. Does it hurt me if they want to spend their lives that way...spending a month rehearsing a 50 foot climb? No, I just think it's pathetic. Even if it's done on trad gear. Don't confuse the abilty to on-site with the abilty to to rehearse a climb into submission. It's quite a boundary. But folks should recognize it for what it is. Just my opinion. Carry on, 'bone.

YOU ARE THE ONLY ONE HERE WHO BROUGHT UP THE TERM ONSIGHT....

hey dumb ass...no one ever said sharma was n onsite 5.15 climber...but you know what, he pretty consistently onsites 5.14-...so, i guess i'd call him a 5.14 onsite climber...you, i'd call you a shitspraying fuckhead who doesn't climb and disparages other climbers...oh wait...here it comes "YOU DON'T KNOW ME OR ANYTHING ABOUT ME...WHY I COULD HANG DOG MY WAY UP ANY ROUTE"...

Edited by RuMR

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Early in my climbing career, if someone was "free-climbing" a route, and hung off the rope: "hang-dogging", they were often booed and told to come back when they were up to the challenge.

"Boo. Booooo. Booooooooo."

"wtf, are you trying to scare me?"

"No, I am booing you because you are hanging on the rope. Booo. Boooo."

"Oh. Carry on then."

"ok. Booo. Boooooooo."

HAHAHAHAHAHA...."BOO"

Awesome

[video:youtube]

Fairweather alerted me to the probability that Sharma is constipated (just listen to him grunt and growl on those high-steps). He and the Williams sisters should consider bran and raisins or even a laxative in the morning.

[video:youtube]

BTW: 5.15??? Usually a sport-climber's version of siege climbing. Rehearse,fall rehearse, fall, rehearse, repeat as necessary...weeks later

Rain....please tell me what is wrong with this style of climbing? Besides the bolts....because I have sieged the hell out of certain cracks that I wanted to send....all on gear.

O.K. dude...I'll try to explain it simply. I kind of like you even though you come off as Forrest Gump with typing skills...Actually I think you're smarter than most people around here give you credit.

It's like this...can you walk up to a 5.9/5.10 and get your fat body up that thing? Good for you! You're a 5.9/5.10 climber. Now if you did that same climb, and had to rehearse the difficult moves over and over again until you got it wired, is that the same same thing as having the ability to approach it and do the route because you're up for it? Are you now a 5.9/5.10 climber? I don't think so. I believe the same thing about many of these so-called "cutting edge" routes. Most of them require weeks of rehearsal, that is, siege climbing, which in my book, at least, is not the same as having the ability to "on-site" something because you have the developed strength and skill. Early in my climbing career, if someone was "free-climbing" a route, and hung off the rope: "hang-dogging", they were often booed and told to come back when they were up to the challenge. I happen to agree with this philosophy. I also believe that even you, Kevbone, can climb 5.12 and above given enough rehearsal time. It might take you months,rather than weeks, but you might very well pull off a 5.13. And for those who claim that sport-climbing and hang-doggin' has allowed them to get strong enough to do hard routes, there are enough indoor gyms around these days to help you "get strong" where there's no excuse to express your inadequacies on real rock by siege climbing. Can't do the route without falling? Pull the rope and start over or come back when you're good enough, but don't equate free-climbing with siege climbing....it's an illusion of numbers. There still aren't alot of climbers who can do anything 5.13 or above without resorting to rehearsal. Does it hurt me if they want to spend their lives that way...spending a month rehearsing a 50 foot climb? No, I just think it's pathetic. Even if it's done on trad gear. Don't confuse the abilty to on-site with the abilty to to rehearse a climb into submission. It's quite a boundary. But folks should recognize it for what it is. Just my opinion. Carry on, 'bone.

It is siege climbing if you try to the route 15 times before sending? What about 5 times? Or twice? I would like to rip on all kinds of climbing, like aid climbing. But at the end of the day, it is not up to me how other folks want to spend their free time climbing. Good for them. Same with Siege climbing.

YOU ARE THE ONLY ONE HERE WHO BROUGHT UP THE TERM ONSIGHT....

That's right...because I think it's relevant and no one else seems to be able to distinguish the difference between that and siege climbing.

hey dumb ass...you, i'd call you a shitspraying fuckhead..

You're really, really very vulgar. You seem to have a rough time handling contrary perspectives.

...who doesn't climb and disparages other climbers...

Are you sure about that first part? You're woefully ignorant.

oh wait...here it comes "YOU DON'T KNOW ME ..

You got that part right!

It is siege climbing if you try to the route 15 times before sending? What about 5 times? Or twice? I would like to rip on all kinds of climbing, like aid climbing. But at the end of the day, it is not up to me how other folks want to spend their free time climbing. Good for them. Same with Siege climbing.

Hang-dog all you want, dude. That's your problem.

This is a style issue. Like using tape, having pre-placed gear, beta, etc. There are varying opinions on this stuff. Nearly every "sport" has style issues. This is one of them. Get it?

Based on your stated philosophy in this matter, it's clear that you, obviously, unearth and analyze your Aegyptian booty without the use of picks, shovels, cameras, computers, etc, and only using single-dig non-siege tactics. You simply claw at the earth with your un-gloved hands (gloves are a form of aid) until you are exhausted by the effort, and never return, regardless of your success. No beta, either. You just walk around and start digging in a place that looks good, without any prior research, or discussion with locals.

Can you see why people think you're such a dumbass around here, hypocrite?

Hang-dog all you want, dude. That's your problem.

This is a style issue. Like using tape, having pre-placed gear, beta, etc. There are varying opinions on this stuff. Nearly every "sport" has style issues. This is one of them. Get it?

dw-anus...sharma would "style" onsight your hardest routes in flip flops...any problems with that?? :fahq:

why don't you back your shitspray up and go send a 5.13 after "seiging" etc.?? and then people might take you seriously, until then, you're just a spraying douchebag never-was talking aboubt shit that you've never done...

in the end, you come off like a bitter old fool that never really did much above a recreational level, yet think you are awesome...

Edited by RuMR

kimmo, you'd better stick to the banter you and i share than trying to start shit with boner...he hasn't got more than a walnut for a brain.

i do believe a walnut is bigger than an almond.

how's the count-down going?

i happen to like almonds a lot, thank you.

count down going swell only 3 years 10 months and 21 days left til i have tendons of steel and climb (h)uber-hard.

of course i should mention that me and my clock-watching tendons will be exclusively siege climbing. I will not climb anything on-sight because then it is too easy. Onsight is bad style. one should always push yourself as hard as you can if you wanna be a real, pure style climber. also, none of that trad stuff: all that gear makes your harness to heavy, thus inhibiting ability to pull hard, also its passe. BOLT THAT SHIT. if you complete a route, you're a pussy and need to sack up and take some whippers (that's what that $200 rope is for.) Real climbers bolt Projects they'll never send, so they know they're always climbing as hard as they can...if they send they didn't try hard enough.

... Real climbers bolt Projects they'll never send, so they know they're always climbing as hard as they can...if they send they didn't try hard enough.

Think about it for a minute:

1. You're wrecking the rocks with your trail of shite. You litter.

2. You're calling it free climbing when it's really aid. You're dishonest.

3. What you're doing deserves even less respect than aid climbing because the gear you cheat with takes no skill and no balls to place. Add to that it holds 12,000 lbs so your risk and commitment are zero. Add to that you place the gear while sliding down a rope.

I'm just trying to help you understand what you're promoting.

Can't do the route without falling? Pull the rope and start over

Sounds like "seige climbing" by another name...But hey, that's how YOU did it and of course you know what's best for everyone else.

And hats- climbers shouldn't wear red hats, because back in the day you and your friends wore blue ones. Boooooo!!!!!!

I sure wish I had been around in the Golden Years when mobs of climbers at the crags harassed those who didn't climb the "right way".

:rolleyes:

3. What you're doing deserves even less respect than aid climbing because the gear you cheat with takes no skill and no balls to place. Add to that it holds 12,000 lbs so your risk and commitment are zero. Add to that you place the gear while sliding down a rope.

Pope, did you know steroids and HGH are not only bad for your health, but they are illegal?

Pope...you're talking shit...

"3. What you're doing deserves even less respect than aid climbing because the gear you cheat with takes no skill and no balls to place. Add to that it holds 12,000 lbs so your risk and commitment are zero. Add to that you place the gear while sliding down a rope."

again, until you and your fudgepackin' old man actually do send a 5.13, its all conjecture on your part about "no skill and no balls"...

Can't do the route without falling? Pull the rope and start over

Sounds like "seige climbing" by another name...But hey, that's how YOU did it and of course you know what's best for everyone else.

And hats- climbers shouldn't wear red hats, because back in the day you and your friends wore blue ones. Boooooo!!!!!!

I sure wish I had been around in the Golden Years when mobs of climbers at the crags harassed those who didn't climb the "right way".

:rolleyes:

Yeah, I did climb in the Golden Years, and I never saw anyone climb that way, nor do I today...and that would include Don's proteges! One of the more ridiculous pieces of irrelevencia I've read, even on this forum.