kevbone

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Impressive speed of execution, which points to the amount of rehearsal that goes into that kind of climbing. I hate the rehearsal bit yet there is paradoxically little doubt that it leads to greater on-sight ability. I suspect the catch is that the amount of time spent climbing on-sight is inversely proportional to that spent rehearsing.

Have you ever watched a 5.14 climber climb in front of your eyes?

yes, right in front of my very eyes, many times, and still wanting to know what you learned from the vid. i'm not testing you here, just genuinely interested. i wouldn't be asking if you hadn't mentioned it.

i'm not testing you here, just genuinely interested.

BS....

no man, i know i've flung poo, but i was curious about your learning. i couldn't figure out what it was, so i asked.

like, was it that you learned what kinda shoes he wears, or that he tries hella hard, or he keeps truckin, or yells a lot, or what. or that the euros shout a lot of encouragement and speak european. i don't know what it is, and you are playing coy. i am simply curious, sincerely.

BS....

no man, i know i've flung poo, but i was curious about your learning. i couldn't figure out what it was, so i asked.

like, was it that you learned what kinda shoes he wears, or that he tries hella hard, or he keeps truckin, or yells a lot, or what. or that the euros shout a lot of encouragement and speak european. i don't know what it is, and you are playing coy. i am simply curious, sincerely.

More poo flinging.....

Impressive speed of execution, which points to the amount of rehearsal that goes into that kind of climbing. I hate the rehearsal bit yet there is paradoxically little doubt that it leads to greater on-sight ability. I suspect the catch is that the amount of time spent climbing on-sight is inversely proportional to that spent rehearsing.

You got that right. Sharma has a couple of things going for him. One, he has a superior ratio of body weight to grip strength. And two, he has an absolutely relentless, indefatigable work ethic. A couple years ago at the Banff Mt. Film Fest, they showed a film of Sharma attempting the first ascent of a huge sea arch, about 100 yds. long, in the Adriatic. The apex of the arch was a good 60 or 70 ft. off the water. That'll give you a pretty good smack, hitting the water from that height. They showed every single one of his 38 or 39 attempts and failures, falling into the sea, until on the last attempt he was finally able to do the entire length of the arch in one shot. All attempts on the same day. Pretty amazing endurance and determination, a hell of a lot of swimming and climbing over one long hard day. Gotta hand it to him.

BS....

Mostly what I learned after viewing this MULTIPLE times (and of course you get an improved understanding every time you watch)....is that Chris (yeah, even though we've never met, I feel like I know him well enough for the first-name reference)....Chris...Oh my gosh, he just doesn't quit! I don't think the word impossible is known to this man-child! Just makes me wanna throw the Gri-Gri in the car and go fling myself at my project RIGHT NOW! If I ever see him down at the Vertical World, I'm gonna just walk right up to him and hug him. And I'd do that, because he seems so REAL, you know? Like, I mean....he's like this total icon and everything and yet I'll bet he's the kind of guy who would just indulge a totally anonymous guy like me in some fascinating conversation. God. GOD! That's it, I'm outa here. I'm heading out to Exit 38 RIGHT NOW!

That's what I learned. BTW, the route he's climbing, is that an old bolt ladder? Anybody know?