Starting on ice

BradB

I would just like to get some info on getting started on ice. I have been going up to Cascade Crags in Everett, and I think I am about ready for the real stuff. If you have any bits of wisdom that might help me get started. Also if you know of any easy routes that would suite a beginner.

Brad

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a good place to practice is on an icefall, say the coleman at mt. baker or the nisqually at mt. rainier. put in a few ice screws, throw down a top rope, and climb in and out of crevasses all day. i was at the coleman a week or so ago with the UW climbing club and had a great time (i'm just starting to ice climb, too).

as for getting tools, there are some sweet grivel rambo IIs on sale at barrabes for just over $200/pair with shipping (sorry, lambone tongue.gif" border="0 )

I agree with the last few comments, even though much of my gear is updated, however there is still plenty of "thrill" climbing ice while using modern gear like express screws, unless of course you are climbing grade 2 ice all winter!

Just for fun, this was some of my gear 10 years ago! * = Still have em'

- 50 cm Straight Shaft BD X-15's (no rubber grip)

* Hinged, horizontal front point crampons (Salewa)

* Several Lowe Fat Snargs and a few Lowe screws (aluminum with the steel tip, they sucked!)

* Lowe Denali boots, over-sized by 2 sizes!

I had an assortment of other odd gear as well, the stangest being a 5 lb mini-sledge hammer that I used for the Fat Snargs! Yes, it's true! I was not very strong back then and when the ice was hard I could not bang in a Snarg so this helped quite a bit, I had it holstered on my right side with a lease so I would not drop it and kill my partner!

Dan, that was my gear up to last year!! But hey, I'm from Maine and you know how we Mainiacs are slow to accept change....probably a little worse than you New Hampshirites.

How many Mainiacs does it take to change a light bulb?.....

Three, one to change the bulb, two sit on the front porch and talk about how good the old one was!!

I just stumbled across a few brand new wart hogs cleaning out an old climbers garage. I'm going to try them on some easy ice just for kicks!! Then I'm going to put them in my pile of gear destined for the first ice climbing museum!

quote:

Originally posted by Retrosaurus:

That would be awesome. Then you would
never
have to develop good technique.

Exactly because I posses zero technique whatsoever. I thrash and bash my way to the tops of climbs and peaks. Don't ever let anyone tell you that you need good technique to climb 5.9 or WI3-4 wink.gif" border="0 A good amount of perserverence will take you a long way tongue.gif" border="0