Crevasse rescue??

brandonmc

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to hear about the medical issues, best of luck with that.

I'd be quite interested in getting together with people to practice these skills. I work some guiding on glaciers and I think that most climbers are really short on practice with pulley systems and rigging and I have my doubts about most parties actual ability to preform a rescue under adverse circumstances. For example most people have never practiced rappelling into a crevass to remove an un-conscious subject.

I think in winter, practicing in-doors or at a park could be very helpful, that's actually one of the better circumstances to work on the details of pulley systems and such. As spring progresses it would be good to go play on an actual glacier, because there you get all of the rope-entrenchment problems, and the issues of lying in the snow in self-arrest, and all that. I like to go brush-up on this annually, since I seem to successfully keep clients and partners out of crevasses otherwise.

I'm in Bellingham, and I have some freedom mid-week. Drop me a PM.

i'm also sorry to hear about that Brandon, best wishes to you and your wife...

i'm a total newbie but would love to come learn about how to set up z-pulleys if some people get together anywhere near the portland area.

i promise to read up on it though i haven't ever practiced it before. i was actually hoping to take oregon peak adventures class on glacier traverse and rescue weekend after next but can't now. this sounds like not a replacement but at least a consolation prize, which would be awesome. PM me if it happens and you're willing to take a newb along

Hey with all this interest in self rescue, I would be willing to teach a class at Ozone WA, near Portland sometime in the near future for anyone that is interested. As reference, I am a full time climbing guide and PMR member for 15 years. It would have to be midweek and involve rock rescue which is easily transferred to CR, we would cover the basics, escaping the belay, munter/mule tie off, rap to subject, ascend back up, 3/5 : 1 raise and a tandem rapell

Edited by sean_beanntan