Crevasse rescue??

brandonmc

Curious as to who all would be interested in a self put on cravasse rescue, fixed line assention, rope and knots class class on the Nisqually Glacier, or somewhere on baker or elsewhere in mid-late feburary on a weekend. All to often these skills get used and forgotten, or all together never used and never practiced. It could be a good way to learn some new stuff, practice old techniuques and possible teach others who don;t know and want to learn. Never know it could be fun to meet people you don't know and information attained could end up saving your butt someday.

If there was enugh intrest i would be able to organize it. Just food for thought. Its about time we started helping eachother out. And hell ya never know it might be fun! Who is interested???

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in mid-late feburary

Been around a little bit, and I'm just saying, winter really doesn't work too good for crevasse rescue practice. You'll be wallowing around on snowshoes, the crevasses will be covered, or have large overhangs of soft snow. Getting good anchors is more difficult than in spring or summer.

Generally, it may be wiser to wait for the snow pack to undergo some degree of transformation to firn

I strongly second Mr. McJizzy's experienced opinion above.

Doubtless, you could do it mid-winter; but by no means would it be the optimal time for crevasse rescue practice. Let it be said that he pretty much knows what he's speaking about.

Hate to be in the spoilsport category on this proposal.

My Esperience, I've been alpine climbing almost forty years, if that means anything.

I am interested! I could provide one glacier rope, also I have a snow picket, and have some spare perlon if anyone needs to use some for this trip. I have never acually been inside a crevasse and have wanted to, I very much would love to get the experience in, one question remains for me, are there crevasses at that time of year? If so I am completely game for this idea!

• 2 weeks later...

not sure on the status, but I have to agree with the concerns about soft snow and finding crevasses. Josh and I snowshoed up to the Muir Snowfield on monday in deep powder, and while crevasses were obvious higher up on the Nisqually, I'm not sure they're the type you want to be trying to practice rescue techniques in. It might be interesting to try to apply skills in the difficult winter conditions, but I don't think dealing with really soft lips is something you want to do on your first attempt at setting up a z-pulley

2 cents: you can practice belay escape, ascending lines, z-pulley/hauling systems etc indoors at a location of your choice. Being on a real glacier is cool, and there will be some elements (padding the lip) that you can't replicate in a gym or basement with rafters, but you can get most of the basics down before you go outdoors. I just did these recently but would be up for practice if you find a convenient place.