[TR] Highway 2 - Arrowhead 1/3/2010

AlpineK

Trip: Highway 2 - Arrowhead

Date: 1/3/2010

Trip Report:

I kept hearing forecasts of rain, and avy conditions raised some questions, but I figured I better stop listening to forecasts and see for myself.

All things considered JH and I decided to ski a route we new well, so we headed up Arrowhead. We found good stuff waiting for us.

Chiwaukum Area

Chiwaukum.gif

This was our best view of the day.

Summit Shot

Summit-shot-2.gif

Powder is good!

Looking-Down-1.gif

Looking-Down-2.gif

Things were still good in the upper clearcut

Upper-Clearcut.gif

Near the bottom of the clearcut we hit rain crust. The lower slopes are not often killer pow anyway, so it wasn't a huge loss to the trip.

The rain crust was thick and icy on the logging roads out. Speed increases yet turning ability decreases providing an exciting and unnerving experience. In the end we decided this was a fast ride out on the boring logging road.

Maybe I've skied this route too many times, but it was a fun day of skiing.

Approach Notes:

I guess I've taken advantage of a broken trail too many times since we broke trail all the way from the highway.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, that is the bowl. The coverage is a lot thinner in your pic so no cornices are visible and there are more trees/cliffs exposed in the upper headwall - so it does not look as tastey. I looked into from the top and it looked really cool - even the lower throat looked good. Only problem is you would end up about 1-1/2 miles east of the parking start point.