[TR] Alpental + Leavenworth Ice - 12/25/2009

YocumRidge

Trip: Alpental + Leavenworth Ice

Date: 12/25 - 12/26/2009

Trip Report:

Day 1.

Trying to utilize the dry cold spell that blessed us over holidays in PNW, Tom and I headed to Alpental to check out some ice. The original idea was to ski the approach and climb whatever ice we could find was in shape.

PC250007.JPG

IMG_0065.JPG

My sprained ankle was still swollen and had been bugging me, so the skis were stashed en route. A nice try though!

The Kiddie Cliff falls were half buried in snow, so we crossed over above the Source Lake to the Bryant Buttress area that looked more promising but not by much and climbed the Bryant Buttress left (WI3+) with its steeper and more solid start (P1) and not so solid P2 to the ice pillar and then mixed traverse to a tree anchor.

Kiddie Cliff falls:

IMG_0067.JPG

Bryant Buttress left:

IMG_0072.JPG

Tom on the P1 Bryant Buttress left:

PC250005.JPG

Me on the P2 Bryant Buttress left:

IMG_0093.JPG

A Pro ornament called "Better not fall" on P2:

IMG_0076.JPG

Bryant Buttress P2 anchor:

IMG_0074.JPG

Chockstone falls:

PC250006.JPG

Day 2.

We were curious about the conditions in the Mountaineers Creek Drainage and hiked up for a half hour on the road #7601 to find out the falls were not in.

PC260011.JPG

PC260009.JPG

Got back to the gate and headed up to Hubba Hubba falls instead. What a gorgeous day! Leavenworth at its finest.

PC260019.JPG

IMG_0110.JPG

PC260014.JPG

We climbed a right variation in two pitches. The ice was excellent, V-threadable and took screws well, more often than not. We rapped off a V-thread atop the P2 and then off the tree on the P1.

Hubba Hubba falls:

IMG_0117.JPG

Tom leading P1:

PC260025.JPG

P2:

PC260028.JPG

Rapping off the V-thread:

IMG_0147.JPG

Me ice bouldering on the P1:

IMG_0153.JPG

Gear Notes:

Ice rack and doubles

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yikes - not sure, but I wonder if that v-thread is kosher. Seems it would have to be horizontal to evenly distribute forces, no? I've never seen nor made one vertically in my...well, let's just say a long time :-)

Looks like a great day in der Leavenvert. Good show.

Thanks for the TR and the pics.

I would think vertical placement of the v thread is better in that it avoids magnifying the load similar to the 'American death Triangle'. Of course it all depends on the integrity of the ice. But i'm no engineer and not much of an ice climber either.

thanks again for the pics!!

Vertical orientation is marginally stronger than horizontal according to some ACMG stuff i remember reading.

Yes, and it is why vertical V-threads are a personal preference of locals in Hyalite. JoJo & co. did some strength testing of horizontal vs. vertical which was published in CAJ so he might elaborate more on that.

All things equal, a vertical V-thread is stronger than the same anchor horizontally placed. This is due to the nature of ice to crack horizontally. My testing in 1989 and decades or experience have shown this. I've used vertical ones for years although more often than not I use horizontal ones just because they are easier for me to connect. Just like a screw, the quality of a V-thread is directly proportional to the quality of the ice, this includes temperature. Cold, dry ice is MUCH stronger than soft, wet ice. A good v-thread, either horizontal or vertical, will be super bomber.