Is it worth dying for?

AlpineMonkey

no one's mentioned that alpinemonkey's pissed about being called a pussy by some "newbs".

Craig, how are you going to learn by just watching? Oh man, I bet you could have learned a thing or two if you man'd up and swung your tools and led your 60, bitch!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey, how is Fred Stanley doing? I went to CWU back in 77-82, and climbed with Fred a few times on college outings at Peshastin as he was a professor there. Nice guy and talented climber. Is he still climbing?

I saw Fred last fall on his way to the Black Pyramid.

I was at CWU then too. Ever run into Tom Ring, Jack Powell, Barry, Gene, John Tarver, Doug Klewin, Frank Florence, or Matt Christianson?

Or me?

Dear Fellow Climbers,

Great discussion! Here is what I am working on--was I the one to make an unkind, ungracious, and disrespectful (macho sounding) comment to someone I do not even know (AM)? If I did, then like I said above, I owe AM an apology, and I want to make it--because it is not my style to publically shame someone, much less a stranger (might joke with a friend but that is way different).

So AM here is what I look like. White male about 5' 10", about 170 lbs, give or take. That day (Saturday) my partner and I got to DP about 2:30 to 3:00 pm, give or take (I did not have my watch on). I was wearing all black--black softshell jacket with a red hood, black softshell Marmot pants, and my composite boots kind of have an ugly yellow look. Blue pack. My helmet is a blue BD Half Dome. My partner is several inches shorter and wears glasses. I do not wear glasses and am middle aged (55). If the man who spoke to you in the way you said fits that description, then it is likely me, and under my ethic, I made a big mistake. If it was me the above apology stands as well as the offer of a beer, and until that time, this is my electronic handshake.

When we are talking about individual risk assessment, I think we can all agree, that goading or trying to shame another climber into putting his/her life on the line, should have no place among our ranks. Each climbs for his/her own reasons, and we respect another's right to decline to climb.

Cheers,

Bob Loomis, Spokane, WA. >loomis@rescue.com<

Fred is doing well - shows up regularly for Chelan County Mountain Rescue Associations functions. Tarver still climbs regularly, rented a house from me for several years. Klewin has mostly given up hard climbing, very busy with his hardwood flooring company these days. the rest of that list I don't know well, although I think I recall meeting Matt Christianson once or twice...

I appreciate the respectfulness and thought of the posts that have gone into this thread. I’m trying to be very careful what I type as this has turned into sensitive issue and I don’t want to start issues. I posted anonymously to raise a question for climbers to consider.

Aside from that, I stand firm with my original post and belief that climbing on or near the Punchbowl under the conditions of that day was unsafe. Falling icicles was not a “question in insight,” it was a very predictable under the conditions. Not only was it predictable, but it was happening as I observed multiple near misses to one party on route. My original post was not to call or single anyone out, not to cause grudges, not to start fights, etc. Nobody owes anybody anything here. My post was to bring forth my opinion and concern that people should not be on those routes under certain conditions. This belief is my opinion and my opinion only. As I have learned from this thread, everyone has their own opinions and it is up to oneself to do whatever one wants to do.

I have seen people on these routes multiple times in what I think “high objective hazard” conditions and wanted to raise a question for people to consider before risking it. Maybe it will save a life down the road.

In the end, I hope everyone is happy and there are no hard feelings. If there are, I apologize.

Alpine Monkey…Done with this thread.

I climbed with a friend of the Christianson brothers who was going to Central, but never met them BITD. Most of my climbing crew was from Seattle area. Mark McJizzy, who are you, got a photo, maybe I recognize you from back then? I was in Moore Hall, 77-78, Stevens Whitney 78-79, then offcampus for the last 3 years. But I was at all the keggers. and there were allot of keggers.

blah blah blah. risk??? why did that alpine monkeyboy climb a route directly above the road in the icicle --- and brag about it? could have kill someone simply driving home. the obscesent spray from that user is pure vanity. kill yourself if you want but keep it to yourself, thats freedom.