What's that mountain?

gearbot

Hello All,

I was on the top of Mt. Stuart last weekend. A beautiful day and an excellent view ! Since I am new to the cascades, I am still trying to figure out where and the names of the different mountains. From the top, looking north, I saw a very small white top way in the distance, probably in Canada. Can anyone tell me the name of this mountain?

Thanks.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey fellahs,

I was up there too and took note of the small glaciated peak way to the North.

I could clearly see Baker to the North, Glacier (closer and less snowy) and I guessed at the time that the small, glaciated peak way to the north was in Canada, and that more specifically it was Garibaldi (in the Whistler/Blackcomb area, as I recall).

Did you folks notice the FLAGPOLE, just to the East, sticking up from below the summit of Pennant Peak? Very cool looking little spire.

Any canadians out there want to verify Garibaldi? Can you see it from Stuart?

Isn't Garibaldi surrounded by some even higher peaks anyway? So it wouldn't be that prominent...

Hey Dru... What's this mountain:

Chilliwack.JPG

This is taken from near Tomyhoi (thats Tomyhoi on the right) looking north over the Fraser Valley and... Chilliwack? I was wondering what that prominent white peak on the left is... (maybe its what gearbot/goatboy saw)

The one on the left is the Golden Ears massif, and the one on the right is Robie Ried, I think. That aint what goatboy saw either. I'm pretty sure, east of Baker, it would be Shuksan - but I could be wrong. I dunno what gearbot saw, probably not Garibaldi either, not much snow left on it right now anyways.

[This message has been edited by Dru (edited 09-11-2001).]

I haven't been up Stuart for many years, but Shuksan is very prominent in the view from many peaks in the central Cascades. Viewed from the south, it looks pretty symmetrical and is gently sloped on each skyline - a snow pyramid that might appear "volcanic." Bring on the photos!

Hello everyone,

As best as I can remember looking north with Mt. Rainier on the left,here is what I saw: (please remember I am new to this area, so I am naming these peaks from pictures from Nelson’s first book, I have not climb them, yet):

the nearest and most right was Glacier Peak (this was half rock and half snow), to the left and farther away was Mt. Baker (a large snow covered volcano), (I believe Forbidden Peak was back and between Glacier and Baker), next farther away and more to the left again was a long ridge of mountains, without snow, running more or less east to west, and poking up behind this ridge, very far away, was a tip of a mountain. You could only see the tip and it completely white.

Any ideas what this mountain was?

Hope this helps.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Hello All,

I finally got around to scanning the picture from last fall's climb on Mt. Stuart. Here a link to the view from the top of Stuart, looking north:

(www.angelfire.com/trek/mera/Scan411.jpg)

(sorry, it seems like the anglefire system does not let me link or include the picture, you have to cut and paste the link into your browser manually, sorry, is there are better way in include pictures?)

Since I am a new to the Cascades, here is my "2 cent" read on the photo: on the right is Glacier Peak, on the left on is Mt. Baker, but what is the small snow covered peak in the center?

Thinking about summer,

G.B.

[ 03-16-2002: Message edited by: gearbot ]