[TR] Mt. St. Helens - Worm Flows / Swift Glacier 1/3/2010

Frikadeller

Trip: Mt. St. Helens - Worm Flows / Swift Glacier

Date: 1/3/2010

Trip Report:

Well, so me, a buddy and his Girlfriend decided to go harvest some goodies up on the Worm Flows today. We headed off to the Marble Mountain snowpark, and arrived around 10 ish. Here we where greeted by a plethora of slednecks, all with their giant Pickups, and equally giant trailers. One trailer even had a neato decal on the back claiming to be "in search of snow"...

Anyhow, we geared up, stuck skins on our sliding gear (AT and Splitboards) and set off on the trail in the mist of blaring expansion chambers and the sweet smoke smell of 2T mixed with castor. The trail is completely snow covered from the parking lot, which for some reason is only plowed half way? The trail in the trees is pretty straight forward, and the normal fare. only one tree trunk is laying across the trail, which is easily stepped over while skinning.

We got above the trees, and all looked like some marginal coverage. Snowpack must only be about a foot and a half deep in most places. The East ridge is still rocky and bare. We skinned up to about 4000' when the Female companion of my buddy started having some boot issues. (new boots, probably need to get them molded), so she decided to head back to the car, while we cruised up further.

Got to about 5500', when we decided that perhaps if my buddy would ever like to sniff the place she... Ahem, to keep a good relationship with the domestic unit, we should head back down.

The snow was, well, pretty marginal, and heavy. Not the best ski ride of the year. I was able to snowboard all the way to the parking lot on the way back, and caught a sick rail slide on the downed tree across the trail near the quarry. :crazy:

Once back at the lot, we consumed a beer, and put away our wet gear, while watching the "put the sled back in the trailer" special olympics that was going on. Damn those guys are funny when they drink too many beers and try to sledneck.

Sorry, no pictures. The camera is on the fritz.

Gear Notes:

flotation devices recomended, unless you like stumbling through snow up to your knees. Did not encounter any ice, but there may be some higher up, so bring those pons and axe if you are looking for the summit.

Approach Notes:

Snow all the way from the parking lot. Parking lot half plowed. Road 83 snow free all the way, with a few small spots of ice.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I think she mostly played games on her I-Nerd Fone... But, if she got involved in the Special Olympics and Beer, she was not sharing that info with us.

I was just getting a chuckle watching them Slednecks argue with one another on how best to launch their beasts up the fold down ramps into the trailers though.

I clearly should've checked this thread before I headed down to MSH this past weekend (1/10). But, since I didn't see it until I was already getting a beer/dinner at the Lone Fir I figured we'd give it a shot anyway.

Your lack of snow comment was spot on, but there was even less after a week of rain. Snow from the trailhead to the treeline was spotty at times but almost completely skin-able from the parking lot. After this next week of rain it probably won't be.

IMG_1050.JPG

Sunday was a bluebird day except for a summit cloud which obscured the crater rim. NWAC reports of a 1" crust were spot on. The sun softened it up at lower altitudes. I didn't dig any true pits, but I did a quick armpit test and tried to kick off what I could on small test slopes - all to no avail (thankfully). I did see this old avalanche path - well propogated but not a very deep crown.

IMG_1060.JPG

Closer to the summit was iced over like I haven't seen since I left the East Coast. Crampons were required and I haven't ever been as happy to have my BD Whippet as when it was time figure out how to put on my skis on an icy slope in the whiteout summit cloud. In retrospect, I shouldn't have left my ice axe in the car... but it did make for a good improvised church key the night before.

IMG_10471.JPG

Great descent from sketchy ice at the top to spring corn and then even some slush near the bottom. All and all a fun trip... maybe I'm glad I didn't read your post earlier! Anyway, thanks for the TR.

Edited by Pete04

Well, considering that the freezing level has been above 6500', I am gonna say it probably will not be much better on the lower stuff. I doubt you will be able to skin from the parking lot.

Higher up, though, you might find some nice goodies.

Go check it out, and post a TR.

From my house in Portland the whole Mtn. is white (except for the east ridge, as usual) so...