BD Express Placement

Matt Kidd

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, new tooth design and tube finish is why.

Grivel Helix, 360 and newest BD are about equal. In our little clan preference is to the Helix.

Helix and 360 have the same teeth and tube finish. I have all three and use them. (Helix and BD Express not a big fan of the 360s because of size) My thought is BD is micro seconds behind them.

Do you usually opt to use the Helix? How do they rack? My guess was that it would rack better than the 360, but not as nicely as the BDs.

I'm getting tired of the 360s for how they rack. Always been happy with how easy it is to place them, though. Used the Petzl screws for the first time last week, wasn't a big fan.

Yes, Helix is always our group's first choice. They rack fine. No disadvantage over the BDs imo. Newest BD's are close second except in the real shorties where Grivel doesn't offer one that size. But we are talking a preference on long sections of *vertical* ice. On anything but the BD and Helix are every bit the equal and either works fine.

My preference for Alpine or moderate water ice is BD (either screw depending on your budget) because they are cheaper and I don't generally need every advantage to get up it.

Grivel screws have gotten silly stupid on price. I bought when the US $ was strong. Now I'd buy the newest BD or find the Grivels cheap online. But if you like the 360 I suspect you'll love the Helix. Unless there is something out recently I haven't seen, I don't think anybody else besides BD and Grivel is even in the same game.