Best type of car for the cascades?

gearbot

Was gassing up today. Next stall over was some "blond arm candy" driving a new Ford Mini-Explorer (I forget what they call it). It was new and looked like all the other Hummer wannabes, and she was proud of it. I didn't have the heart to comment on the Firestone Wilderness AT's it was running. Probably should've though...damn that rap music!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've done the living out of a VW Van:

Unreliable, no power, shitty gas mileage but comfortable

I;'ve done the living out of a 4x4 truck/canopy:

Reliable, multi-use, enough power, shitty gas mileage, not too comfortable:

I've done a long road trip in a Suby wagon:

Runs forever, pretty good mileage, 4wd is a plus on snowy roads, sucks to sleep in.

Best compromise? Domestic full sized van. You can find them with 4x4 but don't need it, the clearance will be about the same and a come-a-long or winch can pull you out of any nasty spots. Parts are cheap and easy to get. Gas milage still sucks, but no worse than any truck. Living is way comfy, no getting out in the rain to pitch a tent or climb in the back. No storing stuff outside to have enough room to sleep inside.

Best alternate? The VW wasserboxer to Subaru Legacy 2.1 engine conversion in a 83 1/2 to 91 Vanagon Westy. Basically the power and reliability of a suby with the pimp-style living accoutrements of the Westfalia. If I still had my Westy I'd do the engine swap in a minute and be living large.

If you're looking to live on the road full time, the best thing I've seen going is the Toyota 2 wheel drive based RV's. Enough power and good reliability from the Toyota V6, and lots of room, gas mileage about the same as a big V8 in a van.

David clearly you need to get out more. There are advantages to sleeping in your vehicle. First and foremost the stealth factor. Most trailheads forbid camping in the lot, usually if your in your vehicle you will not get hastled. Alpine starts require having your pack prepacked and ready to grab and go. Extra time spent repacking your bag and bivy, usually carried in the middle to bottom of your pack, means less valuable rest. Returning to your vehicle/bed wasted in the wee hours (quite possibly only to get up and leave again) means no hastle rest. In foul weather you don't always pussy out and run home! You waite it out or deal with it. If you don't your success rate decreases dramaticly. This said I still vote for the 4- runner. Hint: crack the window it won't fog up so bad, dahhh.

Lotus Esprit with Twin Turbo would be nice just for craggin in the summertime.

Positives: Get to any crag in the state in less than 60 minutes tongue.gif

Handles well.

Chick magnet!

Original Crag car!

Cops will never catch you unless by roadblock!

Negatives:

Spendy

Crappy gas mileage

High insurance

Useless in winter

Useless on dirt roads

cannot sleep in it

[This message has been edited by Cpt.Caveman (edited 08-21-2001).]

David I can just see you sleeping under your car on a rainy night with tranny fluid dripping down your neck and small rivers of rainwater running up your buttcrack. Oops! forgot, you'd rather run home to the ball game on a rainy day. What do you drive by the way, a GEO Metro?

Your absolutely right, I do need to get out more! Wish I didn't have a job though.

I've owned at one time or another practically all the above options. I sleep outside in all but the nastiest downpour. The megamid goes up and down fast! Also, the tranny fluid thing works as a good water repellant! I'll take the stars (and clouds) any day. You guys remind me of that add for Volkswagon where the guy and chick have a tent set up and they sleep in the car. lol.

As far as stealth, I've never run into an authority figure between 9:00pm and 7:00 am. If I'm sleeping at a trailhead between those hours, I don't need to be in the car to avoid harassment. Besides, what's he gonna do, give me a ticket!!!! I'll add it to my others I don't pay.

I'll pack my bivy sack while you make the coffee! I'm not leaving without it! Chances are I'll be kicking your ass out of bed. I don't sleep alot.

I don't think gearbolt was thinking about living out of his vehicle. That is a different story. I'll go with Will's post.

All things considered, I think I'd go back to the VW bus, Eurovan thing. There are definitely times when it would be nice to have one, especially when on a road trip with my wife and kid where you just stop to sleep and get up and leave in the am while trying to get to Utah. I've seen conversion kits from Canada for Dodge Caravan and other similar minivans that were really nice too.

Unfortunately (or fortunately!), I'm not just a climber. I need to deal with sea/whitewater kayaks and bikes, sometimes both in one trip. This influences my personal choice.....4 runner!

For climbing trips with my buddies and my turn to drive, I can also take my wifes Forester with rocket box. That thing really boogies over the passes!

Drive safely and remember, If you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes!

cheers!

David,

I have to agree that the 4runner is a great car, never had one myself but one of my buddies usually does. I also kayak/climb/bike and several time on my outback I have gotten two bikes, 4 whitewater kayaks and all my climbing gear inside...

Perfect, although I miss my 1976 international scout traveler...It ruled...

Sean

I love my long bed Nissan p/u. 2WD, V6, enough clearance & power to get up all but the worst roads, & gets ~ 26 mpg on hwy. I have a little sleeping platform I set up in the back for road trips, so you can stow gear underneath & have plenty of roll space (if not headroom) for sleeping 2 or 3 guys. 160k miles & still runs almost like new.

• 1 month later...

Ok heres the solution to ALL these problems. First, forget about all those other cars mentioned above. Your all going about the problem all wrong. What's wrong with a school bus? Nothing! Those things are slower than a wheelchair, but man what style! Not only can you sleep yourself and all your gear, but you can sleep everyone else in the parking lot too! (Hey perverts stop thinking about it, I know you are) Plus, talk about security! Nobody would ever break into a school bus. Thieves are traumatized enough by their dysfunctional high school experiences as it is. Gas mileage is a headache, but that can be solved with a life of crime! Put some meaty tires on that sucker, and it will go anywhere as well!

Missed this thread while on vacation.

I know an old gezer log home builder who drives a 87' Mercury Grand Marquie with mud tires on both axles. This would be a great mountain car. you can haul 8 climbers and sleep 4 in the trunk (no rangers would look for you in there). Terrible mileage but great ride and power. Clearance is comprable to the Subaru generally come with leather interior which is very durable and killer stock stereo systems. This car would turn some heads at the trail parking lots.

The car/truck that gets you out there is the one you want to own- an advantage to 4 wheel drive with snow tires is the mounties will let you roll right on through any chainup station they've got going on, saves you time/hassle.

I'm in agreement with David Parker about the sleeping in your car bit- what a substandard way to spend the night (not that I haven't done it, like when I brought the wrong set of tent poles on a winter trip) sleeping in a car is like sleeping at home, with a humidifier running full blast- I think it's people who are scared of CREATURES OF THE NIGHT!! Watch out, it's the boogeyman!!!

Why do you want to sleep AT the trailhead?

No trooper's going to look for you if you're even 200 yards up the trail tucked in a cranny somewhere. California excepted, I bet the YOS LEO have night vision/infrared goggles to detect unauthorized camping!

• 2 years later...
I never did understand the big attraction to sleeping in a vehicle. What are you going to do, throw all your stuff outside to make room so you can fog everything up.

i've never had to put anything outside to sleep in my car ... unless i had a second person with me. yellaf.gif the two main attractions for me are staying dry and staying safe. i travel alone a lot and being able to lock myself inside helps me sleep more soundly at night. oh, number three (which sometimes seems more like number one depending on the night) is the lack of bugs. thumbs_up.gif

I have a Toyota 2WD longbed with a canopy. Gets good milage.

The back has a platform that is raised to just above the wheel wells.

The whole thing is covered in foamies then shag carpet. On each side of the wheel well are compartments that you can lift up to store things (like antefreeeze, water, tools, etc...). There is also room underneathe the bed to store an extra tire, shovel and all of the packs and gear.

There is room for two to sleep comfortably.

I have a Toyota 2WD longbed with a canopy. Gets good milage.

The back has a platform that is raised to just above the wheel wells.

The whole thing is covered in foamies then shag carpet. On each side of the wheel well are compartments that you can lift up to store things (like antefreeeze, water, tools, etc...). There is also room underneathe the bed to store an extra tire, shovel and all of the packs and gear.

There is room for two to sleep comfortably.

Orange shag carpet? Shagadelic, man.