i got issues

iceman

I know all you badass vets of the Cascades can help me out. I'm writing a thesis paper and need some help with the topic. I want to write about some aspect of climbing or the outdoors, but am struggling for ideas. I'm new to the board and don't want to sound too much like an idiot, but I'm looking for some cool issue, controversy...that I can debate so my teacher passes me and I can get outside. Thanks

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd do it on Fee Demo for several reasons although the topic isn't climbing specific. 1) It has an effect on anyone wanting to go to the outdoors 2) There are lots of articles at your disposal including General Accounting Office (GAO) data 3) You can actually make a solid argument 4) It's another opportunity to lash out at those greed asses in the other Washington.

I think the bolting issue would be a fun topic as well, there is a moratorium about the issue still going on, at least I believe there still is. Problem with writing a thesis on this is your basing your argument more off of opinions rather than any solid facts.

i'm with jon on the fee demo vs. the fed govt'a budgeting responsibilty vs. access vs. whatever (sorry with the babble. that's six or seven tall boys speaking...). anyway, an analysis of the federal govt. trying to excise extra dollars out of tax payer for use of public lands we already pay taxes for the use of, and for which budgets are already alloted for, is a great topic.

however, the bigger issue is what are you receving a (master's, undergrad, or maybe just high school?) degree for? i wrote an undergraduate thesis about public land ownership and who should be in control - the federal govt or the states. it was an fun paper and ended up being a great argument in favor of federal control over state management of public lands for the sake of environemtnal health and protection.

anyway, good luck.

If people worried about basing their theses on facts rather than opinions then precious few would be written.

I think the fixed anchor ban has a more interesting hook: the schism between the climbing community and the more militant members of the forest/hiking community. There are a lot of ways to frame the issues, and your ability to do so coherently, and then defend it against alternative viewings is the basis of a thesis experience.

I suspect a few folks around here have an opinion on the subject...

Here's an example: Scott Silver, who may be lauded by some for Wilderness Watches work against the Fee Demo project was also largely responsible for the breakdown in talks between the FS and climbers in the negotiations on the fixed anchor ban. Wilderness Watch would not accept the presence of anything (rapp slings, bolts, candy wrappers...) being left in the wilderness. The breakdown in negotiations means that it's all in the FS hands, which ought to make a climber nervous. So is Wilderness Watch with us, or against us? Depends on your point of view. I have mine.

Now quit screwing around on the web and get to work! smile.gif

Terrible Teddy Bear-

Additionally I wouldn’t base my whole argument off of one sole article that you read on MountainBomb.com written by a person who is at the extreme of one end, the Access Fund president Armando Menacal. tongue.gif

Scott Silver (and it is Wild Wilderness) was on the Wilderness Bolting Committee before he was attacked by REI’s lawyers and forced off. So the current status of things isn’t his fault because he is not there. No I’m not saying I agree with Scott’s position because he is against almost all bolting and other anchors, but he definitely isn’t at the extreme as other groups.

At the time Scott was forced off the argument was this. The Wilderness act says there cannot be any fixed installations in designated wilderness territory. So what defines an installation? And that is what no one could agree on. People in the group weren’t willing to compromise and so they went nowhere quickly. How can you possibly blame one person for this?

Sorry Mountain Doodoo:

I haven't seen the mountainbomb article, although I'll go look around for it, I got my info from another member of the now-defunct negotiating committee. If you were actually there, I might be inclined to believe there's more to the story. But as it stands, the download I got was that WW's (however you want to unparse it...) unwillingness to move in negotiations led to the dissolution of the committee. If you want to call that 'forced off' then you can, although when everyone except the FS is 'forced off' I'd consider it something a bit different.

Certainly easy enough to spark folks up, though...

-t

Lots of American silly overpriced microbrews. Compared to Granville Island, Bowen Island, Whistler, Tree, OK Springs, Big Rock and Unibroue... poor you.

That Bowen Island Hemp Cream Ale even manages to combine the two pleasures. And then there's "Bowen Island Blonde..." - a guy I know made a habit of climbing a beer named after every summit conquest. Sure he drank Rainier after Rainier, Sam Adams after Adams, Oly after Olympus, but what he really wanted was to be drinking Bowen Island Blonde wink.gif

Allright, I read the Menacal article, and it pretty much jibes with the story I got from the other frustrated participant.

The person I spoke with, however, seemed more pissed at Silver.

However, my point is still left standing. I'm grateful for WW's work in opposing the fee demo project and irritated by their opposition to 'fixed' anchors.

I don't want to write another thesis, however.

Peace all.

And remember BC bud is just a Northern Lights hybrid... cool.gif

Widmer Alt uber alles.

-t