stupid question of the day

skitty

Hi, I've been doing alot of bouldering (indoor) lately and as I've gotten better, obviously I can get higher. Today, I almost finished a problem I've been working on for several days when one move from the top I froze : "Wow it's about 10 feet to the ground, if I fall..." I panicked and downclimbed. I drug over the maxi-pad and still wasn't okay with the whole thing. Here's my question: How do you fall on to a pad or worse case, the ground?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Rocks are softer than the pad(In the Gym). We have had folks twist their ankles pretty bad from landing wrong on the pad. It works best for horisontal bouldering.

The key is to be loose and absorb it. Bend your knee's and let your body crash, or bounce! bounce.gif

There are no stupid questions!

I must agree with Imer Bone, when he says that pea gravel is softer than a big old pad. I once popped off the tower at the U.W. wall while reaching for the notch. Although I'd never want to experience that again, I walked away with only a bruised ego and a load in my shorts. Pea gravel has amazing abilities to absorb energy.

Ditto with the pea gravel vs. pad. Also, try not to stick your arm out unless you want a mangled wrist / elbow / shoulder. If you peel off backwards, try to turn so you land on your side (if you can't land feet first) and watch your head. It works for me. I fall a lot.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey that's not a stupid question, that's a good one. There is a whole art to falling, trust me, I've taken more than one 20 footer. (all while bouldering on pea gravel, which IS the shiznit) Just remember to be completely relaxed when you hit, people don't get injured by the impact of the body vs. the ground, but they tense up and freeze all their muscles. It's the same principle as why drunk drivers never get hurt as bad as the people that they hit, they are relaxed from the alcohol and don't tense up. Also, remember to roll as much as possible to distribute the force of the fall. I find the heel to ass to back/hip works wonders. Have a great time falling!

quote:

Originally posted by MysticNacho:

Just remember to be completely relaxed when you hit, people don't get injured by the impact of the body vs. the ground, but they tense up and freeze all their muscles. It's the same principle as why drunk drivers never get hurt as bad as the people that they hit, they are relaxed from the alcohol and don't tense up. ..... I find the heel to ass to back/hip works wonders.

ANOTHER good reason to drink and climb!!! (never forget the 11th essential) As for the heel to the ass, I get enough of that at work but thanks for the tip.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...