Cougar sighting on Crawford Mountain

LUCKY

Yeah!! About 20 silver haired cougars, meet then on the way down as I was doing my daily hike up Crawford mountain, I like to call it the Mt Si of Thurston county same distance as SI but instead of switchbacks and 3500 feet elevation gain , it’s on log’n road with 1200 feet elevation gain, it’s a 2 ½ hour burn for me and the wife, I just had to ask the leader of the cougar pack what group they were with, she said they were a group of retired women ….cool to see the old babes getting out and staying fit, and then when I was about done with the conversation with the lead cougar 2 hoties walk up looking at a topo with a puzzled look, of course I had to do the man thing and set them on the right path. So here’s the thing I have never seen a hiker doing Crawford in the 21 years I have been living across the road, so what are the odds, when I saw all the cars I thought wow everyone trying to get there deer before the season is over. Well it looks like my own private Mt Si enduro space is about to get invaded.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I gotcha beat. Late summer, me and Dwayner and Fairweather hiked Shriner Peak in MRNP (off HWY 123), described by Spring/Manning as "one of the loneliest trails in the Park." Among the more interesting fauna observed was a female hiker (accompanied by her smirking male friend), descending from the Shriner lookout after a photo-shoot, of which one would presume she had been the primary subject. Apparently the photo-shoot had run behind schedule and they were late for their next appointment. We reached this conclusion because upon meeting this party, we observed the subject modeling the clothing in which she had previously posed....NOTHING BUT A PAIR OF BOOTS! Unsure of the socially acceptable greetings and discourse expected during such an encounter, we merely advised her to apply liberally a sunscreen of appropriate SPF rating. I attempted politely to obscure my view by covering my eyes, but through cracks between my fingers I observed that the girl had carefully groomed and THOROUGHLY SHAVED herself for the photo shoot.

I can't beat Pope but -

I was retreating from the Bugs due to being there too early in the season and spending a week watching avalanches.

I did not want to make two hauls of the butt ton of gear I had taken up planning for a longer stay, I was hiking out with close to 100#.

It was my partners 40th birthday and we were about a 1/4 mile apart on the trail and suffering our own personal misery in private.

I stopped to lean on a boulder and catch a rest when an old man and his grandson, out for a day hike, asked how I was doing. My reply was as usual optimistic: "not too far to go, beer at the van, the end is within my reach". The old man proceeded to tell me that about 1/2 mile down trail there were a group of women drinking, smoking and making merry. I looked at the old man with an unbelieving gaze and said something along the lines that it sounded interesting. He laughed and continued on his way.

I started moving again and thought to myself that Canadians had a wierd sense of humor and that he was trying to inspire me to keep going. I could not help hoping that what he said was true.

As I came around a bend in the trail I could smell cigarette smoke and thought I was dreaming of a relaxing smoke and drink and was slightly worried about my state of mind. To my complete surprise as I rounded the apex of the turn I saw a group of women in a talus field drinking, smoking and carrying on..no joke the old man was serious!

I did not plan to stop as they all seemed to be having plenty of fun and I kept walking, when I heard one of them holler at me. I stopped and in my most suave fashion said "hello ladies!".

They said I looked tired and that I also looked in need of a cold beer. Music to my ears! I told them that they were indeed correct and I dropped the pig off my back and headed over. Not only did these gracious women ply me beer and food but also with a smoke and smoke. It was freaking paradise!

They asked if I was with another guy with a giant pack. I said yes. They said they had tried to get him to stop as well but he just looked at them and kept walking. I explained that my friend is a social retard. I asked what they were up to and they said it was an annual birthday trip. I laughed and told them that today was my buddies birthday as well.

We got ready to hike out together and I found out they were staying at the CMH (?) lodge and had a ton of alcohol that they felt my buddy and I should help them drink. I could not agree more.

We all got to the van were my friend had been sitting at waiting for me and I told him what was going on. We offered ther ladies a ride and piled as many of us into the van as possibe and started down the road.

This is when social retardation once again reared its ugly head. One of the ladies noticed our huge stash of 22oz beers and inquired. My friend said truthfully that we imported said beers and when asked why, as there is beer in Canada, he replied " there IS beer here, but no GOOD beer". The argument continued: "we have GOOD beer!" - "Name one!" - "uhh...Kokanee!" - "that's what I am saying no GOOD beer!". At this point the ladies asked us to stop the van and that they would walk the rest of the way.....Social Tard!

It was great while it lasted. :(

100_0341.JPG

100_0342.JPG

Edited by Pilchuck71

Oh my Gosh! What a blown opportunity! And all over shitty beer! How could you forgive him for that blunder?

Climbing mentor.

Close friend.

One of the best guys I know.....not the most savvy but..

He is like a brother to me.

Right on. The brotherhood of the rope. He probably saved you a world of trouble (fist fight with a logger, night in jail, hangover....and nothing to show for it but an embarassing rash and a love child or two).

Cougar sighting on Crawford Mountain

When I first posted, I thought it a funny little story related to the south cascades, After some of the hilarious and interesting posts now I think it would have been more fun and appropriate in another forum, what do you think?

STAY OR SPRAY?

A good friend and I were in the Winds for a month in June 87. There was no one else up there and we had a blast. Coming out, we were met by two gorgeous women with almost nothing on.

My friend was google-eyed and almost ready to take his clothes off when I pointed out the dog they had. It was wearing a bandana with "Gay Pride" emblazened on it.

Talk about a conversation stopper. Jack froze.

I was openly expressing my dissappointment.

They were openly amused.

It was a long walk out.

Here is a funny little story similar to bugs

My girlfriend (now wife) are climbing at a popular sport climbing area, I lead this 10-b one of our warm ups, my girlfriend leads after me, this hot and in very good lean shape girl walks up and says to my girlfriend you looked really good on that, so when I hear it I say hey what about me, the hottie says oh yeah you looked good on it too, kinda condescendingly .Than she commences to tell my girlfriend that is her partner leading the climb next to us. She than reaches out with her index finger and taps my girlfriend on the shoulder and says PISSSSS! YOU’RE HOT!

Now I thinking that’s just rude, not only is she putting the BLAST on my girlfriend right in front of me she is doing it behind her partners back that is leading a climb.

In retrospect it was quite funny :lmao:

Here is a funny little story similar to bugs

My girlfriend (now wife) are climbing at a popular sport climbing area, I lead this 10-b one of our warm ups my girlfriend leads after me, this hot and in very good lean shape girl walks up and says to my girlfriend you looked really good on that, so when I hear it I say hey what about me, the hottie says oh yeah you looked good on it too, kinda condescendingly .Than she commences to tell my girlfriend that is her partner leading the climb next to us. She than reaches out with her index finger and taps my girlfriend on the shoulder and says PISSSSS! YOU’RE HOT!

Now I thinking that’s just rude not only is she putting the BLAST on my girlfriend right in front of me she is doing it behind her partner back that is leading a climb.

In retrospect it was quite funny :lmao:

That is pretty damn funny :fahq::rocken:

Years ago while hiking into the Wind River range to climb East Temple Spire, we came around a bend in the trail to find a whole group of Rainbow people frolicking in the nude in a grassy opening beside a creek. Evidently they were under the impression that they were deep in the untracked wilderness. (In the Big Sandy area of the Winds? Ah don' thin' so, mon.)

Some of the Rainbow ladies were a little hairy, but all in all, quite fetching. To our amazement, a couple of them came right up and asked us to, shall we say, tarry with them a while, but the decidedly frosty glares and acid comments of the Rainbow men, and the fact that the two of us were well outnumbered, persuaded us to move on. Like duuude! What ever happened to those Rainbow ideals of free love,free weed, universal peace, etc? Bummer. And I had just the right piton to fit that crack.

A couple seasons later we were packing down from hunting camp to Skinner Bros. base camp at Burnt Lake. It was a warm, sunny afternoon. As we came out of the timber just before crossing the creek next to the camp, there were a couple in "flagrant delicto", just fucking like crazed weasels right there on the creek bank. Bob Skinner (the late Todd Skinner's dad, now also deceased) wasn't even fazed, but just started laughing, and then we all (3 guides, 6 hunters and the camp jack) started hollering and applauding, cheering them on. Even though we made a pretty good racket, they never paid a bit of attention to us, and just kept going to climax. Only then did they become aware, and jumped up and ran off into the trees, the girl's face red as a beet.

Yep, them's the mountains fer ya.