[TR] Night Photography at Hidden Lake Lookout in Winter - Snowshoe 12/27/2009

Steph_Abegg

Trip: Night Photography at Hidden Lake Lookout in Winter - Snowshoe

Date: 12/27-28/2009

Trip Report:

On Dec 27-28, snowshoed and spent the night at the Hidden Lake Lookout. I got back yesterday and spent the night processing photos, fun stuff. A great way to cap off 2009.

Looking through the old summit registers indicates that there are very few parties who ever come to the Lookout between October and April, but it is certainly a unique and beautiful time to do so. There is nothing like waking up surrounded by snow-encrusted North Cascades.

Conditions were great for snowshoeing, and it took me less than 4 hours to snowshoe up to the Hut from the trailhead. When I drove in, Sibley Creek Road was surprisingly snow-free for late December, and I drove all the way to the parking lot. But this was to change overnight. The forcasted winter storms arrived a day earlier than expected, and it had started to snow when I woke up in the Lookout the next morning. My first thought was: "It's beautiful out there!". My second thought was: "My car is parked at the top of a steep and lonely dirt road, surely getting snowed on, and if I can't get my car out today, it will be until the June snowmelt before I can get it out. I better hurry down there....."

As usual, on my website, I've posted a full trip report with lots of photos of the wintertime Hidden Lake Lookout and views of the snow-encrusted North Cascades. Here's the link:

http://sites.google.com/site/stephabegg/home/tripreports/washington/northcascades/hiddenlakelookoutdec2009

Here are a few photos:

glacierpeakwilderness.jpg

(Link to larger version of labeled panorama.)

IMG_5779.jpg

IMG_5734.jpg

IMG_5776starscb.jpg

peaksseenHLLO.jpg

(Link to larger image.)

Again, the link to the full TR on my website:

http://sites.google.com/site/stephabegg/home/tripreports/washington/northcascades/hiddenlakelookoutdec2009

Edited by Steph_Abegg

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

....what iS wItH yOUr weBsITe lOoKinG liKE tHiS?

I started that way long ago with the idea that it might catch peoples' eyes in google search lists (no idea if that's true). By now enough people have noticed so I've decided to keep it as my personal trademark. Sort of like you got to climb uP aNd dOwN tO rEaD eAcH wORd instead of just getting used to going downhill with your sentence....

....what iS wItH yOUr weBsITe lOoKinG liKE tHiS?

I started that way long ago with the idea that it might catch peoples' eyes in google search lists (no idea if that's true). By now enough people have noticed so I've decided to keep it as my personal trademark. Sort of like you got to climb uP aNd dOwN tO rEaD eAcH wORd instead of just getting used to going downhill with your sentence....

On the flip side, I like looking at your pictures, but I never read your reports because the font gives me a headache... I bet I'm not alone there.

It can be a little hard to read but i think its prety unique and original. Overall; cool blog, great pictures, Ill keep rEaDiNg iT! Haha its kinda fun.

Thanks for reading and enjoying my stuff. Just think of it as climbing up and down through each pEaK nAmE as you read it....

Edited by Steph_Abegg