Useless Summit Poster

Lafayette

it seems to me that the lessons learned here are:

don't climb with will hockett.

typical passive/aggressive northwest bs. instead of telling the guy what's up when it's happening, wait until later and "get revenge" by posting about it on the public airwaves.

abysmal.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of which, we haven't heard from Josh in a long time. I wonder if he learned anything from this site, or if he's up to his same old game.

Here I am, I've been fine. I've been hiking and waiting for climbing season to come back. :)

Edited by Josh Lewis

Speaking of which, we haven't heard from Josh in a long time. I wonder if he learned anything from this site, or if he's up to his same old game.

Here I am, I've been fine. I've been hiking and waiting for climbing season to come back. :)

Good to hear you are out hiking during this time of year. Climbing this time of year can be beautiful and treacherous at the same time (if you don't pay attention to the weather, have your survival skills down, or know how to evaluate for avy danger). When you go out hiking, are you camping along with it? This would be an EXCELLENT opportunity for you to further develop your camping skills in a more controlled environment than the side of a mountain in a winter blizzard.

Will,

I've got no problem with you outing the guy. If he sees this, he's welcome to post his response if he feels so inclined. It would be different if you had posted under a pseudonym. You said something--maybe you regret it now--but you said it under your real name, so who am I to judge?

Like others, I've had some bad experiences with partners on the internet and those I've met elsewhere. I've been a bad partner myself I'm sure. If someone disliked me or was pissed at me enough to post it online, well....that says something about how bad I was. I'd be pissed for sure, but I'm not sure I could really blame the person if they seemed to make some reasonable points. Hopefully I've never been that big of a douchebag to other people that that was necessary.

And to be fair to Will, I got stuck with bad partners when I felt like I had done my homework. When someone rattles off a few climbs they've done in the Cascades (I'm not from the NW, by the way), it's downright deceptive to not mention that they were part of an AAI class or guided course. How the fuck am I supposed to know that you got your ass dragged up stuff? Sure, I should have met the guy for a day climb before, but, as others mentioned, sometimes partners fly in for a trip and that's that. And the suggestion to just ditch the guy doesn't always work out well either.....when I left camp to solo stuff rather than risk ourselves on objectives that were over his head, I'm sure that pissed him off pretty badly. Pretty much sixes either way.

Yup, what builttospill said Will. I'd tie in with ya anyday. From looking at his web site, I suspect that the other dude would be fun to go out with in a group, or for an easy day for something light and fun as well. Looks like a great guy.

Sometimes I suspect that it's just the moon and stars are out of alignment. I once had a moon and star issue with a partner when I was young, in my 20s. The late Roger Smith. When Roger was on, he was an awesome partner for rock, snow, ice or just getting out and bustin it. Strong, smart, fun and talented climber. But when he wasn't....well, it was a total emotional horror show. It must have just been the moon and stars Roger had going inside of him as at some point he got tired of this world and sadly choose to end it.

Hope the rest of the trip goes smooth and the senoritas treat ya right.