[TR] mt baker - pan dome 12/27/2009

spionin

Trip: mt baker - pan dome

Date: 12/27/2009

Trip Report:

dave (Dave_S) and i climbed pan dome on sunday.

the falls are FAT. our route:

pan_dome_route.jpg

p1:

IMG_17092.JPG

the ice fractured a lot, while leading p1i took out a sizeable dinner plate, which hit me square in the knee (i had stepped up with my right leg, and it was bent). i finished the pitch, but could no longer really step up on it (or bend it).

dave (being a total stud) ran up the more sustained p2. he credited being hung over for his cool head and lack of sketch. i don't know, my hangover didn't have the same effect... but anyways, back to the tr.

p2:

IMG_17111.JPG

a group of very polite vancouver-ers top roped the route next to us. here's one of them rapping down

IMG_1720.JPG

3 feet below the anchor my left foot slipped and resulted in a bend of the injured knee (i'll spare you the transcript of my reaction), and i ended up stopping there. so i guess technically i didn't finish. dave lowered me. thanks to my rad partner - he fetched a helpful ski area patroller and i got carted out to the parking lot on a snow mobile. great day.

IMG_17021.JPG

Gear Notes:

screws of all lengths

Approach Notes:

10 min walk through the ski area

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't recall ever seeing it look that blue and un-snowy.

yeah, dave said he's never seen it so fat. it was definitely a great chunk of ice. there a few ramp-looking features up the climb, and they do have some snow on them. so we generally opted to not use them due to uncertain foot and tool placements.

thanks all - it was a really great day. happy to provide a conditions report.

wow that looks like a real good climb now. I have never been on it when it was that good, usually horrible. Are there bolts on top? (according to your photo)

i'm not sure - i had to stop 3 feet below the anchor b/c of the leg. i think the tree is it.