[TR] Shuksan - Curtis Blow 12/27/2009

danhelmstadter

Trip: Shuksan - Curtis Blow

Date: 12/27/2009

Trip Report:

I left the White Salmon parking area around 7:30, and skinned up through the resort enjoying views of distant sun kissed peaks, reflecting golden early moring sun. I reached hemispheres, then traveled the arm's crest east to where I dropped into the lake Anne area, then traversed crusty snow to the Curtis Glacier cirque.

Curtis Blow is a gully that is just behind diagonal rock in thte picture

2725959830103935217S500x500Q85.jpg

I had my eye on a hanging west faceing line (though it is west faceing, it is entierly shadowed by the cirques north wall this time of year). I found highly variable snow as I climbed, and traversed under scary seracs to the fall line route, here I found sketchy windslab of about 23cm thickness that failed during compression tests at the second tap from my elbow (ct12), on a relitively clean shear plane (q2). Sketchy enough to give me pause as wether to continue, I climbed around and up on ice crust which was quite steep at times, once at the top, wandered around to Curtis Blow which was basking attractively in warm sunshine.

2574719370103935217S500x500Q85.jpg

I had skiied Curtis Blow last year, so I knew what to expect from the route, which is pretty steep, and has some exposed spots. Conditons were highly variable, stable, and softening -- though there was quite a bit of ice crust lurking just under a thin coat of windboard. Not bad conditions though.

This video is not all that exciteing since I was skiing very cautiously since I had not climbed the route, there were also seections of survival skiing because of conditions. Also, by spirit 4s lost another shin buckle, makeing both boots 3 buckelers.

[video:youtube]

Halfway down the Blow

2616816330103935217S500x500Q85.jpg

I made it back to the parking lot before darkness, and enjoyed some excellant north faceing poweder off the arm.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool video Dan, as always. I'm curious what type of camera setup you use? My GF got me a small HD video recording for the holidays, but I'm considering exchanging it for something that can be head mounted. Ideally it would be better than just duct taping it to my head. :)