Lost, stuck drivers rescued after three day search

CascadeClimber

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/index.ssf/2009/12/couple_stranded_3_days_in_east.html

First of all, I'm glad the people were found and are safe.

I suggest everyone contact the Oregonian/OregonLive and ask them to treat this incident as they did the Mt. Hood incident. This is an opportunity to shed some light on the fact that climbers are not the only ones who get lost and need SAR and that these services are provided without charge to motorists, hunters, boaters, etc.

In this specific incident, they turned onto a forest service road at the behest of their car-GPS and proceeded to drive 35 miles up the snow-covered road until they got stuck.

Edited by CascadeClimber

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure if this would be a good comparison as it doesn't sound like anyone was searching and they were rescued because they had an electronic 'locator'.

Actually this isn't true, at least on the searching. There was a search that involved quite a few people. I think most of it was through the Klamath County sheriffs office but I assume Lake County was involved also.

Apparently they were finally rescued when a relative used the same GPS and followed the same suggested route. Although previously I thought I had read that cell phone signals were used.

The Dad attempted to walk to where he had cell service, going several miles in each direction on the snowed-in road, but to no avail. KGW reported last night that a relative, as you said, used his GPS, of the same make, and followed the route given. Whatever brand it was should be noted and returned or replaced. The manufacturer should be held accountable, or whatever the database was that was used.

I keep hearing of all too many incidents of this kind. Some kind of accountability needs to be put in place so that these kinds of errors are kept to minimum. Of course, people need to use common sense, learn to use a map and compass, call the Highway report 800 lines,or check it online, call the local Sherriff's office, ODOT, etc. There really are so many resources available, that IMHO you have to be a real idiot to make this kind of mistake.

However, it was a man, of course, and we all know that men simply NEVER can bring themselves to be so sensible and humble as to (HORRORS!) ask directions. Compounding the stupidity was the utter carelessness, especially with a little baby, of neglecting to take any food or water, no blankets or extra clothing, and stupidest of all, less than half a tank of gas. Completely irresponsible and inexcusable.

It would appear that there are two stories. The one above for the couple from Reno and then there is this couple with a baby.

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2009/12/29/ghassemi.lost.by.gps.katu

My letter to the Oregonian, let me know if they publish it:

As a former Oregonian I am shocked that my home state continues to promote and allow people to drive in the wintertime without being prepared. In the past week two different couples have become stranded on rural roads. The first couple was stranded for three days while the other couple, with a baby for only 12 hours. Where are the cries for requiring people to carry locator beacons, GPS, or cell phones? Oh wait they had a cell phone and a GPS system. Too bad they blindly followed their spiffy GPS system down an unplowed road with more than a foot of snow on it only to get stuck. And once stuck they could not get a cell signal. Maybe it is time to require winter drivers in Oregon to carry sat phones or at least PLB at all times as it would sure save on rescue costs.

I didn't realize there were two different situations. I know there was a rescue effort for the one out in the Christmas Valley vicinity. But it makes sense that these were different since I had heard different details.

Perhaps there is some blame to be placed on a GPS that suggests such a route. But it seems to me the driver should be prepared to dig out. In one case they couldn't get unstuck from the snow, and I would guess they didn't have a shovel. The photos from one of these, I think the second case, showed the road they were on. It was well covered in snow. It was clearly not plowed or otherwise winter maintained. You would think they might reconsider their route at some point.

I'm certainly glad everyone was found ok in both cases, but I wouldn't put too much of the blame on a GPS unit.

I used to have an atlas a bit like this. It would show a passable dirt road as a direct route, and in reality there would be a network of four wheel drive routes. I once followed what looked like a dirt road from Silverton to Lake City and ended up with an adventurous trip over engineer pass. I was actually somewhat fond of that atlas.

• 2 weeks later...
The manufacturer should be held accountable, or whatever the database was that was used.

I've actually made these GPS maps before, both basic topo, as well as comprehensive, routable maps. It is essentially unfeasible for the map makers to be able to know the condition of a particular road during a particular season. That said, most GPS units give a weighted preference to state roads when choosing a route, so I am surprised that a forest service road was chosen, but it does happen. It is up to the user to tell the device that they are only interested in state routes, and they should be fine.

I could expound on the technical difficulties of it all but think I would probably just bore everyone. :) Also, the database is I'm sure data harvested from government sites.

The manufacturer should be held accountable, or whatever the database was that was used.

I've actually made these GPS maps before, both basic topo, as well as comprehensive, routable maps. It is essentially unfeasible for the map makers to be able to know the condition of a particular road during a particular season. That said, most GPS units give a weighted preference to state roads when choosing a route, so I am surprised that a forest service road was chosen, but it does happen. It is up to the user to tell the device that they are only interested in state routes, and they should be fine.

I could expound on the technical difficulties of it all but think I would probably just bore everyone. :) Also, the database is I'm sure data harvested from government sites.

That makes sense; I wasn't really knowledgeable about where manufacturers get their databases to install in GPS units. And, what you say about the responsibility of the user is true--which is why I was advocating for people carrying map and compass, checking things out before they go, etc. Might as well give yourself every advantage, especially when you're carrying kids. One item I forgot to mention which should be required, just like chains, for winter driving: a little thing called a SHOVEL. That could have made all the difference for those who got stuck.

Maybe there should a required section on winter driving safety and emergency procedures as part of Driver's Ed courses, and in the State driver's manual,as well as questions addressing this stuff on the Driver's License exam. Anything to dispel the pervading ignorance that seems to keep these incidents happening.

Yeah, total agreement on the shovel. This is the kind of situation (the people getting stuck) that makes me feel stupid for even trying to give advice for what they did wrong because it is so obvious. I just don't understand people's brain dead zombie following of electronics devices sometimes, apparently without any idea for the limitation of their vehicles either. Even if they trusted the GPS to have picked a correct route, why would you keep driving in conditions your vehicle isn't made for? I just don't get these people, and I think the above call for motorists to carry SARSAT devices is hilarious.

• 3 weeks later...
Whatever brand it was should be noted and returned or replaced. The manufacturer should be held accountable, or whatever the database was that was used.
blankface.gif No... GPS is a tool that must be used properly. Thousands of people using the same tool did not make this mistake. The problem is with the user and all accountability/blame is on him.