[TR] Lane Peak - The Zipper 12/27/2009

bonathanjarrett

Trip: Lane Peak - The Zipper

Date: 12/27/2009

Trip Report:

Taking advantage of the low avy conditions this weekend, my climbing partner and I climbed The Zipper on Lane Peak. We found nearly perfect conditions on the route, with firm snow for cramponing and bluebird skies. We also had the route and seemingly the entire Tatoosh Range to ourselves.

Short_AI_step_3.jpg

Relatively low snow in the gulley meant that there was a short fun alpine ice step midway up the route.

Looking_down_from_belay_at_final_junction_before_col.jpg

About 20 meters below the col, there is a gulley that leaves the main route and heads right. We didn't go that way, but it looked tempting with short sections of alpine ice before (presumably) heading out onto the north face. Anyone had experience with this variation?

Negotiating_the_rock_step_3.jpg

We took the "direct" route up from the col, heading straight up steep slopes. At the top, we were able to place relatively good rock gear and climb a short rock band to get onto the knife ridge. This was the best part of the climb by far with great exposure on either side and fantastic position.

Traversing_the_Summit_Ridge_3.jpg

Andrew_and_Rainier.jpg

As one might expect, the summit views were sublime.

We descended down around the backside, occasionally postholing on the south side. Dropping down between Lane and Denman required one bushy rappel that might have been avoidable with more snow. However, there were several rap slings on the way down, so perhaps it is normal to rap the couple of steep steps. Dunno.

On the way out we pondered the route potential on the north facing buttress of Denman. Has anyone done this? It looked doable right now with some thin parts up high. I suspect it be about WI 3+ and be a couple/three pitches depending how you pitch it out.

Ice_potential_on_north_facing_buttress_of_Denman_Peak.jpg

Gear Notes:

Several short screws (unnecessary on the route)

Small rock rack (useful if climbing the "direct" line mentioned above)

Picket (placed only to warrant carrying it)

Approach Notes:

Slowshoes currently unnecessary.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great route, nice report. Regarding the ice on Denman...I once encountered some drunk guys camped at the base who claimed they had climbed it. He also claimed to have pitched off near the top of the Zipper, resulting in a fall all the way to the base. Without injury. Could have been the beer talking.