Can you brake in Plastic Boots?

RokIzGud

So here is a noob question I have had for a while. I was on Baker last November and tried out a pair of Scarpa Invernos. It was my first time wearing them and they just about ate my feet with blisters which was sort of expected… I haven’t really worn them since but I was talking to someone who said he didn’t think that plastic boots could be worn in… Is it true that you can’t wear in plastics? I’d think you could be able to at least break in the removable liner.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Short answer - no plastics won't break in. However if there are certain spots where the liner rubs (fits too tight), these will mellow after time. Blister usually come from a spot where the boot does not fit snug, and allows your foot to move around. Try different sock combos, add padding or shims, different foot beds, etc... to get a snug fit.

Fit is critical, because the shell will NOT break in. Custom footbeds (try a high end ski shop,Superfeet makes a number of footbeds that might solve most of the problem) will make a huge difference. So will preventive taping. And wear them around your house for as many hours at a time as is practical to help break in your feet to the boots.