Pretty Hood Photographs

bradleym

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great photos Bradley! I am torn looking at them. I see the fresh snow which has just covered the bodies of 2 fine young people who's families will be celebrating Christmas with only the memories of Christmas past with them.

I see lots of good times....when conditions and runout were right, we use to get folks lined up on the far side of the obvious break and all jumping up and down together, we would break off the cornice.

Cornice_Jumping_jpg.jpg

These things would never seem to just snap off the first try, but would gradually widen, as the jumpers waited in fear, excitement and anticipation for the break and terror filled joyride which we surely all knew was coming as inevitable as death and taxes. Bammm, down we'd go. If the snow was deep or the cornice was big and or the snow deep, a spotter or 2 would volunteer to watch the bodies so in theory, anyone unfortunate enough to get buried could be dug out. I would think that with avalanche beacons, this would be a less fearful task. The most dangerous part of this was that the cornice's are hard compressed snow which breaks into blocks. Riding a big hard block could in theory be problematical and roll over on top of you: crushing and killing ya...but it never happened. I suppose you have to pay attention and not jump on too deep of a cornice, and have some nice, soft, not too deep powdery snow to ride. Any other combination like deep slushy snow, or thick big cornice, could easily kill ya.

Damn we were stupid. But fun loving:-)