Figfour Drytool Training Thingy

RokIzGud

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

those contraptions would not do anything to train for "the feel" of your personal tools, which is very important.

I made a small drytooling "system board" this year out of plywood and 2x4s, hung it high in my garage, and found something to lightly rest my feet on to simulate an overhang. It's modeled after a training element I saw in a Mountain Athlete video on Youtube, and has proved to be a very effective training tool.

those contraptions would not do anything to train for "the feel" of your personal tools, which is very important.

I made a small drytooling "system board" this year out of plywood and 2x4s, hung it high in my garage, and found something to lightly rest my feet on to simulate an overhang. It's modeled after a training element I saw in a Mountain Athlete video on Youtube, and has proved to be a very effective training tool.

:tup: Me too!

tiles.JPG

• 5 months later...

Hi guys, the tools that Malcolm was using are not the Figfours. The Figfours have a handle designed to be used as a training aid rather than to recreate the feel of an actual axe handle. Figfour inventor Pete explains his thinking here:

http://www.alpkit.com/colab/notes/figfour-handle-design/

And some comments about the use of Figfour as a way of training for dry tooling by Ian Parnell here:

http://ianparnellphotography.blogspot.com/2010/01/few-more-winter-work-outs.html

Without a doubt the best training is always going to be with real picks, Figfour is an option for individuals or climbing gyms where safety or damage limitation is a priority.