Drury Falls mishap

bushman

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey buddies, I'm glad you are OK.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I've been across and back three times for ice climbs. One time was epic. I lost cascadeclimber's snowshoe into the drink in the chaos. We were lucky to make it to a rock island. Could we string a fixed cable across, somewhat like the ice climbs for Icicle Canyon's Dog Dome? How would we tension it? If we took it down in March, would anyone notice or care? Drury Falls is as classic as anything in the Western Time Zone.

JKlubberud

If someone were to put a fixed "cable" across the river there, then we should also build a handicapped sidewalk to SCW. I've heard its classic too.

not sure how tyrolean = handicapped sidewalk

seems like a tyrolean would be the best solution. perhaps efforts could even be made to have it approved by the forest service.

I've been stuck on the other side from hiking out too late in the evening. No way was I gonna cross the river in the dark. We should push for a ped-bridge since it seems like access to the other side is pretty minimal and it would open up some great climbs that normally are limited to fools and their crappy boats (Not directed to Alex K and co.).

The river crossing is part of the experience of climbing Drury. It is one more element to the climb. It adds some flavor (adventure) and is one major reason Drury remains so Classic, but elusive to many of us. All the elements that go into climbing Drury add to the appeal and classic-ness of the route. Putting a permanent something across the river to make it easier is just stupid. Like Pete H said, there are alternatives to the river.

Either walk your big lazy butt around or risk the river, or don't climb it. (not directed at anyone eaither)

first, glad to hear everyone survived.

second, i agree with pete and craig's opinions that risking your stupid ass-hat is part of climbing on that side of the river. there was a botched tyrolean set up there a few years ago. unnamed ass-hats made it disappear just like the fixed dirt-head slacker lines/broken beer bottle camps in the icicle....good fucking riddance.

as for lake jolanda, the landing on the northwest side is private property and posted as such (at least a couple years ago). while i never had a problem with the owners, you'll want to keep a low profile.

put your boat in, put your delicate drumsticks in downstream of swiftwater, or hike from one of the bridges. if you have an epic, consider it a gift.

..."if you have an epic, consider it a gift..."

Well said, Rolf, and I heartily agree! At my age, and my stage of recovery from my near-death experience last June, epics are pretty easy to come by these days... coupla days ago, I even epic'ed on the Funnel!!! (Shipman can share the story of taking care of me during our ignominious retreat) I no longer have to spend big bucks or go somewhere exotic for this experience - now I can enjoy it on my "pet" climbs... one of the benefits of age & decrepitude...

-Curt

Webfoot (Dennis Webb) says...

You can't fix STUPID!!!

December 21, 2009 at 6:38 a.m. ( permalink | suggest removal )

Gator (J Bone) says...

I agree, Dennis. What were these guys thinking? "There is an element of danger. We accept that." - Being willing to risk danger is one thing, but being stupid and costing taxpayers money on a rescue mission is both stupid and selfish. Can't even blame Gregoire for this one.

December 21, 2009 at 11:56 a.m. ( permalink | suggest removal )

Webfoot (Dennis Webb) says...

Gator--they certainly weren't thinking of the other folks that they put into a dangerous situation to rescue thier sorry butts!!

I believe that the agency that has to rescue these fools, should also send them a bill for the costs associated with saving thier lives.

Anyone that "takes the risk" should also be prepared to "take the bill" for ALL the expenses incurred as well.

December 21, 2009 at 1:23 p.m. ( permalink | suggest removal )

Gator (J Bone) says...

Good point, Dennis. Do you or anyone know - do these guys have to pay anything? Or is this big rescue operation that saved a bunch of Seattle idiots just completely free to them, and everyone else has to pay for it?

On a different note - of course these guys are going to say that they are experienced "ice climbers", but were they really? Would someone with experience be dumb enough to get into that situation in the first place?

People like these make me sick.

-Mark