Hello?

Wil_Carter

No shit, I would really just like to interact with some other climbers who are at

my beginning level. I don't feel like talking

shit about how cool I am right now. I just want to do more climbing and hope that I can

reach a high level without becoming too much

of an asshole.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Wil,

I know alot of macho dorks are going to make fun of this, but...

I meet alot of really cool beginning climbers at the gym everyday. Thats one place to look.

The best would be to hook up with an experienced climber who can show you the ropes, the safe way. And is willing to hang out on "easy" stuff. I'd love to help you out but I am either doing easy stuff with my woman, or hard stuff with my bros... Good luck dude!

[This message has been edited by lambone (edited 07-16-2001).]

I'd like to climb with more beginner or intermediate people. Although I have noticed that it is not the "advanced" or "experienced" climbers that are the assholes. It is the poeple who think they are "experienced" climbers but are actually beginner to intermediate.

I make no issue about being an average climber, I need to gain more experience and hope I'm not an asshole myself.

You know one thing climbing has taught me...there is always someone better than you. Usually a lot better.

If they are assholes just ignore them.

Another thing to keep in mind on this site. The tone and delivery in a posting is often lost and comes off as more pised off then the poster actually is. Don't take this shit personal.

And again ignore the assholes.

I have some friends that climb at...well lets just say world class level. Comparably, I am a novice and we talk climbing all the time.

Climbing isn't divided up by skill level. It is you agianst, or with, your objective. Not against other climbers. That is one major reason why climbing (mountaineering and alpine anyway) is not a true sport.

So Wil, what you want to talk about?

Wil, on this site you can say anything you want, just sit back and let the spray fly out your fingers. Some of us, at least, would be interested to read it.... even if its about toproping a 5.4... as long as its well written and NOT ALL IN CAPITALS (pet peeve, not directed at Jerry Sanchez who has no other option).

Hey Wil,

I would venture to say that if you are not an asshole now that you will not all of a sudden become one if/when you get really "good"..whatever that is. I know this sounds stupidly obvious, but climbing is just a hobby for most of us and the idea is to have fun at whatever level. I strive to get better but pretty much only in relationship to myself and not so much to feel better than somebody else. I think you'll find most climbers at all levels pretty friendly and willing to help...within reason :-).

Jim

OK, I dig a little better now. I honestly did

not mean to step on any toes-believe me, I have

all the respect in the world for an accomplished climber. Thanks Rod, I see that

there is a lot of harmless shit-talking going

on here. Caveman, you've been helpful although

you can talk shit with the best of them. Bone,

Jblakley, anyone else I'm forgetting, thanks

and maybe I'll be back when I have something

to talk about. OK Stewbone, let's go to Smith and do something new. After we'll bowl

up and have an oil can.

Pencil,

I flail on every climb. It is my style. All my partners know it and I always threaten to take whippers but somehow make it through most cruxes. I climb not too hard either. It is in fact all about bein out there and havin fun... Wil, I do talk a lot of shit and that is my nature I guess but I dont talk numbers if you watch closely wink.gif

-CPT sez Wheres the next offwidth !!

Wil, in my experience:

sometimes-

burly climbing = loud mouth assholiness

sometimes-

burly climbing = quiet compassion

Point is it can definately go both ways, it depends on the persons ego. Some of the greatest people-men and women- I have met are incredible climbers and some have made me want to puke...

Bottom line is leave the stereotypes to golfers. Unless you are talking about the Klan that is!

bitter....bitter....bitter.....

bone get off it, i'll still give you the tr belay on the t.f. but you ain't comin over to party......

plastic fumes make me noxious!

wil, email and you can go with me and bronco when we go to index next week! hear that bronco!

Wil,

This is all so warm and fuzzy.Looks like like I'm here a little late. Sorry we got rained out at Smith but it's time we got something out on the table. When you go to meet your maker or face the universal void it won't make a damn bit of difference how hard you climbed or in what style. The difference will be how many people you helped along the way. How many times you did the right thing when you could have fucked somebody. When you waited your turn instead of merging late(You're not a late merger are you? They are the real assholes.) And so on. Don't ever feel bad about what we climb. There is no failure only new resolve and reason to persevere. That's why climbing is better than real life. And let's not self-deprocate re; the oil cans. I think I know where your coming from. Next time I'll come to Wa. Di pointed out that a few years ago we would return from Smith wallowing in regret because we felt like we hadn't done enough or we didn't lead anything new or we didn't impress ourselves in some regard or whatever. We had to get over it and realize as someone pointed out ealier that chillin' with friends and enjoying the outdoors and lack of chaos is the whole point of it and not what you can come back and say you did. Sure I spray a little too but I realize it is to impress or else I wouldn't tell anybody. This site is cool and these guys seem allright. I'll send you an email.Robb.

Oh and did I mention my typing. It doesn't make a damn bit of difference how well I can type either.When Truman Capote heard that Jack Kerouac wrote On The Road in three weeks he said "That's not writing, It's typing." But we know that history would prove otherwise. You see the interesting paralell.At least I think it was Capote.

O. K. I need to research my quotes and improve my typing but since neither one is attached to my ego we can make fun and it's o.k.. It should be the same with climbing and the impersonal candor of written thoughts. They do sound meaner than they may be intended to sound. For instance "That's only because your a chickenshit...". See how mean that sounded. It's because you couldn't see me laughing when I said it.