More Jabs at PMR by the Oregonian

MtnHigh

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the opinions of those trained and experienced in outdoor search and rescue are as nothing when compared with the wisdom of the couch potatoes on the editorial team at the oregonian, whose experience with the outdoors is limited to walking from their front doors to their cars. of course, actually knowing something about the subject under discussion is grounds for disqualification in the yahoo universe of the oregonian and its readers.

This is just absolutely pathetic. Say ignorant crap about me and us climbers here all they want, we are choose to go up there and climb and make our decisions about what safety gear to use or not, and we can defend our actions against this sort of stupidity. But to attack the brave men and women of PMR, who are volunteering to go up there and risk their own lives to help those in need of rescue, is just beyond callous and quite frankly makes me sick.

I sure as hell fail to see the humor of people dying and bodies being lost on a pile of shit like Hood.

The (editiorial) cartoon I find biting with sarcasm and gallows humor. Appropriate for the context and climbing in general imo.

Like any letter to the editor is is simply another man's opinion.

In this case a very well illustrated opinion or as Joe implied so succintly, you wouldn't have your panties in a bunch.

I know it is hard for some of you....media bashing and all...you'd think this was a forum for the NRA! Ya freak'in wankers.....grab the clue bus as it goes by will ya?

About The Stump

By Jerry Casey, The Oregonian

The Stump is designed to be a platform for provocative and thoughtful discussions about the issues of Oregon, the Northwest and beyond.

The name harkens back not only to the old stories of political candidates standing atop sawed-off stumps to deliver speeches, but also to Portland's nickname, "Stumptown." That name stems from the late 1800s, when Portland grew so fast that busy crews left behind the stumps from the trees they cleared for new streets and roads. Some stumps remained so long that locals painted them white to make them more visible, and used them to cross streets without sinking into mud.

The (editiorial) cartoon I find biting with sarcasm and gallows humor. Appropriate for the context and climbing in general imo.

I get what you're saying (though I personally don’t agree), but the other readers may see this strip and find a different message... one that mocks and degrades. It saddens me to see anything that reduces what the rescuers are doing. These are the kinds of things that put a strain on our volunteers. I can’t say what the intent was from this guest columnist, but it seems to be jabbing PMR IMO.

Take a read through what MRA and PMR are saying in the comments portion below the comic.

P.S. Kudos to Monty for using this cartoon as a forum to educate.

Edited by Mikester

Dane,

Your bashin my hill! :( Sucky!

My hill before it was your hill :)

... other readers may see this strip and find a different message... one that mocks and degrades

Exactly...it all depends on your point of view.

My thought is we as climbers really ought to be happy that their is a debate and that we get to be a part of it. By the look of it the climbing community (SAR included) can defeat that atitude....if you get involved past the Internet forums.

The cartoon is quite interesting ... while I agree it is a poke in the eye at PMR I think to a certain degree they set themselves up for it. Though I agree the MLU should not be mandated, their arguments are specious:

http://www.pmru.org/pressroom/headlines/20091213PMRStatementRegardingMissions.html

However, at the same time the third frame says a lot. I have say the first time I read that frame it did not click. The second time it did.

What do I walk away with? Common sense says you hedge your bets for survival. At the same time common sense says you do not mandate what tools are used.

Delayed rescue calls - I have heard this statement many times but have yet to see any documentation to support it.

More danger for rescuers - the coast guard requires ocean going vessels to carry locators, as does the FAA for aircraft. I have not ever heard that there is an expectation of rescue from pilots that I know. Further, groups like PMR are volunteers, they are not being forced to do anything.

About the only statement of three that I agree with to a certain degree is the false sense of security it may provide. But I am cold hearted bastard, I do not feel sorry for people like that. Kind of like the idiot skiers who go out with an avy beacon thinking that it will save them.

I agree with the basic premise that mandating anything is a bad idea. Especially when it targets one user group.