More Jabs at PMR by the Oregonian

MtnHigh

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not too much of a stretch from requiring MLU's or PLB's, to take the next step and mandate that all climbers be implanted with a tracking system chip, then of course all rescue personnel, in case any of them get lost. Since family members might have questions or objections, they'd have to be implanted also; if somehow family members tried to speak to the media, all media personnel need chips, and all of THEIR family members, and anyone else they might talk to... etc.,etc.,etc. Your next question is exactly the right question.... :noway::shock::o ::skull:: " Holt shtill, now, ziss von't hurt a bitt..." :[]

It's easy for us as climbers to say if I'm dead I'm dead don't come and get me, but if you're dead you don't get to decide if someone comes to get you. Your family, the authorities, the volunteer rescuers, and others involved do. I've had this discussion with my wife many times. Personally I don't want anyone dying while trying to recover my body, but like I said I won't get to vote if that time comes.

As a rescue volunteer myself, we go to great lengths to recover people who fell into harms way. As an organization we have the training and decision making infrastructure to minimize the risk, while still trying to bring some closure. Sometimes we are not able to bring closure.

That being said, I agree there is no problem to solve here other than public perception. I don't think any more regulations are necessary. This is supposed to be a free society for good or bad and the frequency of these events is low and the real costs are insignificant to the tax payers.

I find entertaining how "freedom" is claimed to be central to the arguments of both the extreme pro and con regulations points of view. On the one hand, the anti-tax types fuel the regulation fire with the "not on my tax" demagoguery and on the other hand, we have the "climbing is free" types who say that it should never be regulated no matter the circumstances. I figure some people seamlessly switch camp according to the issue at hand.