• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   12/08/21

Thanks for visiting Cascadeclimbers.com.   Yep, we are still going!    Just put a new coat of paint on the site. Still the same old community of climbers, skiers, and people who love to get outdoors. Hope you had a great 2021, and wish you the best for 2022 and beyond.  Thanks again for stopping by.
Sign in to follow this  
danhelmstadter

current snowpack

looks like the danger is going down to moderate/considerable this weekend, with a possible bluebird day saturday. i will be out and about digging pits and skiing, it is tempting to start forming ambitious plans for big steep descents.

given the facts of the current pack -- i think i will be more on the conservative side. i haven't been out in the last couple days so i don't pretend to know exactly whats there, rain could have squashed the weak layers at some elevations, certain aspects have already released etc... but certain aspects and elevations will no doubt be touchy given the recent weather and faceted snowpack...

i like to practice with my beacon this time of year, and go over the red flags, reaquaint myself with the importance of paying attention to slope angle and looking out for terrain traps etc...

the american avalanche association is a great resourse for avi info - check out the snow weather and avalanche observational guidelines section. good stuff.

Edited by danhelmstadter

agreed, be safe out there folks. hard to resist the pow fever, ecspecially this early in the season.