Group Buy - McMurdo Find Find 210 PLB

ScaredSilly

Okay with all this talk about MLUs / Spots / PLBs / etc I thought I would throw out an idea. I have a lead with a retailer who is willing to work out a deal for the purchase of a bunch of the McMurdo Find Find 210 PLBs at a reduced price. I am not sure what the price point would be at this time other than it would need to beat REI's price of $270 (after dividend) and we would need to buying enough to make it worth their while. For me personally, I will say the price needs to be below $250 because of shipping costs. (Saving less than $20 over REI's price is not worth the time factor involved in the distribution).

If folks are interested, please post up your interest and how many you might want. These postings will give me a number to go the retailer with so that they can give a price plus shipping each unit. Your posting is not a commitment but do not post unless you are truly willing to buy. I do not want the retailer basing the price a bunch of units and then only have a few people actually follow through.

Once we have a price I would collect funds from each person (paid in full via a check, no paypal because of their fees and monthly withdrawal limits). Your full payment is your commitment. I would then place the order. When they arrive I would have a mailing party (to make things easy sending a shipping label with payment helps). Everyone who wants one then has a PLB and can tell the man to take hike ;-).

Okay, so post up if you are interested.

allen

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, I did not even think about that viewpoint. It is absolutely not my intention to take advantage of the situation as this idea is something I have been thinking about for a while (not just for climbing and land based adventures but also ocean ventures) and with Bill's post about Spot (and missing his window) I thought I would ask.

That said if folks find my idea inappropriate I give the mods full purview to nuke this thread.

I actually purchased this unit when it came out last year. I like the features and esp. the size and price point and has GPS. Easy to register too. Battery life seems good but haven't had it that long and never had to activate it. I purchased it for fishing for tuna out of Newport, but you can take it anywhere. it is also waterproof and will take it on long backpacking and hunting trips as well. I think it is the best on the market in the price rage. Actrually I think it is the only one on the market in this price range.

i was under the impression that you even only have 10 tests per year of the GPS aspect. What I thought the 210 version has is the 406mhz beacon that goes to satellites and in addition some sort of a local transmission of GPS coordinates which gets your specific location known immediately.

i do not believe it functions in any way as a navigational device with providing gps coordinates to you. but i could be wrong, im no expert on it.

keep us up to date on the deal if you can wrangle one.

This website might help folks:

http://www.fastfindplb.com/en/index.php

http://www.mcmurdo.co.uk/doc/Fast Find V2 low res.pdf

A few answers to some questions:

You want to replace the battery near the end of it life as it has a shelf life. I believe the even the replacement battery has a shelf life. The unit once activated transmits for at least 24hrs (i.e. in the worst conditions cold). It should last around 72 hours if in warmer temps.

As for the GPS, it is not a stand alone - there is no screen to view the coordinates. There are other units that allow you to utilize a std GPS and upload the coordinates into the PLB.

As for testing - no more than once a month over the 60 month life of the battery.

Correct. The GPS is not for you as a stand alone, it is for your rescuers. Much better than an MLU and is supposed to have really good accuracy. McMurdo has been in the business a long time and produces quality PLBs and ePirbs for the ocean. I am no expert in this arena, but did a lot of research before I pulled the trigger on the PLB. Plus, my wife feels a lot better when out on the big pond and in the mountains.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Sorry for the delay. I was out of the states for a bit. My contact was never able to get anything worked out. The importer is a marine wholesaler down in Florida and for whatever reason my contact felt it was not worth the time setting up things for a one off sale.

My suggestion is that if folks have a contact via PMR or another similar rescue organization that you try that route. Otherwise REI $270 is a descent enough of price.