Tucson cragging season?

Looking to head down for a week of trad and backcountry cragging – Dragoons, Babo, Mt Lemmon. Looking at either late January or March.

What are the chances of good climbing weather during those times? Don't mind flexing among options and/or wearing fleece & hats, so long as we find some dry sunny rock.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have climbed there in March and it was nice and comfy, I was there once the last part of april and it was over 100 F during a really abnormal warm spell. Both times climbed at rappel rock, chicken heads were amazing!! Good thing about Mt.Lemon, if its hot just go up the mountain, if its colder, stay lower

Edited by shapp

What I know:

Was there (Cochise) in march got hit with a snow storm, but it was clear in less than two days. As other's have said, we just headed back and hit the lower slopes of mt lemmon.

One thing (you probably already know) about Cochise is there are seasonal closures for raptors. I htink they mostly effect the east half, but something to chekc out before you base a plane ticket on it.

Tucson, I wish I was headed there. I love the climbing there....

If anyone is interested, here is the latest from MountainProject:

"Cochise Dome and the surrounding 1/4 mile including Rockfellow Dome, is closed from March 1 - June 30 for nesting peregrine falcons."

Sounds like the closure dates vary from year to year. But as Chuck says, plenty of stuff on the west side is unaffected.

the westside approach to baboquivari may now be closed. friends made a trip a couple years ago and got shut down....lots of smuggling (drugs and humans) in that area and the locals used to burn the occasional vehicle. you might inquire in tuscon before committing to the drive. great routes though.

mendoza canyon is also well worth a visit. it's probably the warmest backcountry area in arizona and has some fine longer routes (not gonna find much in s. arizona longer than 6 pitches). seasonal closure used to start march 1st for javelinas.

mid-late february is a great time to go.