Banks Lake

Hawkeye

Has anyone hit up banks lake yet this season?

Some friends and I are thinking about hitting it up on the weekend of the 2nd and 3rd. None of us are experienced lead ice climbers, so we were curious if there was any top rope routes available out there. If not, any recommendations where we could find some around central Washington? Half of us are from Whidbey, the other half from Spokane so were trying to meet up in the middle as best we can...

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the Death-cicles aren't threatening than the Devils Punchbowl is a reasonable lead, even for a non Water Ice leader. Left side goes about WI-2, right side goes about WI-3, and from the top of the Left Side you can top-rope Trotsky's Folly at WI-4.

Also, below the Punchbowl on the left hand side there is also a little column (30 ft maybe?) that you can set a Top rope on, and is protetcted from the Death-cicles above the punchbowl.

Has anyone ever gone after the death-cicles with a rifle? It seems like a nice 30-06, early in the morning, would fix those in short order :P

You could also have a go at Umptanum falls in Ellensburg(?), though I haven't been there myself.

Selkirk,

I tried to shoot the big one off once, with a 30-06 as a matter of fact, and it was indeed early in the morning. Two shots did nothing to it. Later in the day however, while doing a TR lap on the punchbowl it did come off. No one was hurt but I nearly had to buy some new pants.

Next time I'll bring a .300 and I won't stop till it's gone. Ammo is just so expensive these days.

Hawkeye,

I may be going there this friday. If I do i'll post up conditions on this thread.

If the Death-cicles aren't threatening than the Devils Punchbowl is a reasonable lead, even for a non Water Ice leader. Left side goes about WI-2, right side goes about WI-3, and from the top of the Left Side you can top-rope Trotsky's Folly at WI-4.

Also, below the Punchbowl on the left hand side there is also a little column (30 ft maybe?) that you can set a Top rope on, and is protetcted from the Death-cicles above the punchbowl.

Has anyone ever gone after the death-cicles with a rifle? It seems like a nice 30-06, early in the morning, would fix those in short order :P

You could also have a go at Umptanum falls in Ellensburg(?), though I haven't been there myself.

No need for rifle, just some warm weather. I witnessed a collapse a couple of years ago, there was a stalactite about 50-60ft in length- took out entire slope. There were 2 bigger left hanging and we saw a party going to the set up a toprope- we left in a hurry not to witness mangling of the bodies.

Selkirk,

I went out there yesterday pretty much knowing what I'd find. The Devil's Punchbowl area was still in but getting thin in places and very wet. The deathcicles have mostly broken off, but a big came off while we were there, not a safe route.

Banks_Lake_Dec_09_116.JPG

Wangchung,

climbing under deathcicles is dangerous, not shooting them.