1 or 2 ropes for J Tree?

Colin

I'll be looking at Colleges in California with my dad next week, and we'll spend the last two days in J Tree. I don't have guidebook, so I plan on just poking around and climbing whatever looks good. I assume that for most stuff there I'll be able to get by with a single 50m rope - or am I wrong?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by Colin:

I'll be looking at Colleges in California with my dad next week, and we'll spend the last two days in J Tree. I don't have guidebook, so I plan on just poking around and climbing whatever looks good. I assume that for most stuff there I'll be able to get by with a single 50m rope - or am I wrong?

one 50m will be fine...60mbetter. People around will have books to look at and ample beta. Remember it is one of the most popular places in the usa to go climb on "dirty little pebbles" [big Drink][big Drink]

I'd take a single 60 meter rope and be careful to asess descents before climbing. There are SOME routes which you cannot rap off of. But a single 60 would get you down many of the ones that you DO rap off of.

Intersection rock, for example, is a popular formation with a mandatory rappel and no walk off. A single 50 or 60 rope works fine for it, however.

Steve

quote:

Originally posted by goatboy:

I'd take a single 60 meter rope and be careful to asess descents before climbing. There are SOME routes which you cannot rap off of. But a single 60 would get you down many of the ones that you DO rap off of.

Intersection rock, for example, is a popular formation with a mandatory rappel and no walk off. A single 50 or 60 rope works fine for it, however.

Steve

You can downclimb the 5.3 route to get off Intersection. Usually while you are drunk off your ass at 2AM after the New Years Eve kegger.

I'm also going to be at JTree this Thurs-Sunday and am trying to decide whether to bring my single 10.5 55m rope or my double 8.5 55m ropes.

Usually I only use the latter for alpine, but sounds like it might save me some hassle at JTree to be able to wrap off the double 8.5's.

Votes?

(Would I be a total dork for bringing doubles to this crag?)

I've used my doubles on lots of routes a J Tree to minimize drag -- routes such as "Sidewinder" in Steve Canyon, which traverses and traverses some more . . . or even some of the multi-pitch routes on Lost Horse wall which go up, then diagonally down again, then up again .

Never a bad thing to practice double-rope technique so you're more proficient at it in the mountains!!!!

don't know who long you guys are gonna be there or If you'll have spare time, but there is a place called Pioneir Town just south of JT... still in the JT National forrest... there is good climbing there too, but there is a great bar with great food there, called Pappy and Harriets... the town use to be and old western movie set so it looks like you just steped out of the 1800's... but the bar is packed and hopin' fri, sat, sun.... If there is a girl named kristina singing there tell her country jake say hi....

Forget the ropes altogether. Just go down to the Gunsmoke and get it really wired, then wait around for some little hotties to come by so you can demonstrate alpine excellence. They can provide a better education for you than any So. Cal. school that comes to mind. Also, if you do climb some pitches, you can save a lot of time by figuring out which routes face north (and east in the afternoon). Ask a local for good shady climbs. It will likely be too hot to climb in direct sun.