[TR] Del Campo - FA: Brawndo 12/14/2009

sepultura

Trip: Del Campo - FA: Brawndo

Date: 12/14/2009

Trip Report:

On Dec. 14 A2THEK and I climbed a 2 pitch ice line on the lower N face of Del Campo peak. Unfortunately the fresh dump of snow on Sun. night stopped our progress up the rest of the face. It was still a worthy endeavor with a fairly short approach. We spied the line last week from Morningstar peak and made plans to come back and have a go. With the forecast calling for more typical Cascades weather we figured it was either Mon. or not at all for awhile.

The approach was straight forward. Park at the Sunshine Mine trailhead, follow the trail to the major drainage that leads to the valley between Lewis and Morningstar. From here head straight up the drainage instead of following the trail up the avalanche slopes that head toward Headlee pass. Follow this to where the terrain steepens directly below Del Campo’s NF.

The climb itself consisted of 2 full pitches. One being a thin mixed lead to an ice belay right below the upper tier. The second pitch was a full 55 meters of solid blue ice. We rated the climb 3+ R due to thin conditions of the lower pitch, although short screws proved useful here. Two double rope rappels from trees brought us back to the start of the climb.

We decided to name the climb Brawndo in honor of the “Thirst Mutilator”

PC150275.JPG

PC150276.JPG

PC150277.JPG

PC150278.JPG

PC150283.JPG

PC150288.JPG

Edited by sepultura

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sweet! Nice work guys!

I had no idea what any of this Brawndo stuff was, but it sounds like I'll need to watch the movie now.

And now, a few notes about Brawndo, courtesy of Wikipedia:

-Brawndo: "The Thirst Mutilator" is a sports drink advertised as rich in electrolytes

-Brawndo is used for virtually every purpose, including crop irrigation. Water is only used in toilets.

-Over time, the electrolytes in the Brawndo have accumulated in the soil, killing the crops and causing a food shortage.

-Half the country works for Brawndo Corp.