[TR] Hyalite - Bozeman Ice Fest 12/10/2009

kevino

Trip: Hyalite - Bozeman Ice Fest

Date: 12/10/2009

Trip Report:

David and I got back yesterday from four great days of ice climbing in Hyalite Canyon. JoJo and his crew did a great job of keeping the Ice Fest going despite the extremely tragic fatality of Guy Lacelle. Despite this we were able to enjoy a couple of the nightly events (Josh Wharton slideshow, Continuum project premier) and the demoing of gear (Nomics, Conbras, Fusions, alibi alpine gloves, etc). It was a great time and look forward to next years. Now the for the pictures...

Day 1: SEA -> EBURG -> Hyalite East Fork

Got into the canyon in the mid afternoon and spent the rest of daylight hours running laps on Palisade Falls in the balmy single digit temps...

DSCN0981.JPG

Getting funky on the ice mushrooms

IMG_4257.jpg

Day 2: Today's adventure brought us out to the East Fork yet again...this time to climb Bobo Like

Sunrise over the resavoir

hyalite_sunrise_pan.JPG

ME leading p1

IMG_4283.jpg

DAvid on p2...

DSCN1009.JPG

A party from CO on p2 as we were rapping off...

DSCN1013.JPG

We stopped by Killar Pillar on the way out but it was like trying to stay dry on a typical spring day in seattle (raining hard = soaking wet) so we hiked out and ran laps on G1 until nightfall

Day 3: "We had to climb some ice between our postholing" -David

Our plan was to follow John's trail from twin falls to solstice...but spindrift and new snow made us break out own trail...quite time consuming

Twin FAlls

IMG_4293.jpg

Solstice...I loved hearing David's crampons and ice tools scrapping on rock and see moss chunks fall away...thin start!

DSCN1027.JPG

And add a little spindrift for good measure

DSCN1032.JPG

Day 4 was by far our most efficient day

First up was the good looking one

IMG_4299.jpg

IMG_4302.jpg

Next was Magically Delicious

DAvid remembering how much easier rock pro is than ice screws

DSCN1043.JPG

stemming is not the beta!

DSCN1040.JPG

Jeff's right

IMG_4310.jpg

David enjoying the cobras

DSCN1061.JPG

Another party of Jeff's Left

DSCN1064.JPG

Getting cozy in the chimney

DSCN1068.JPG

David styling up the thrill is gone

DSCN1071.JPG

Gear Notes:

demo gear

IMG_4277.jpg

Approach Notes:

I 90 east

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you think about Alpine Alibi gloves?

I didn't think they were that special- I only demoed them because I wanted to get someone else's gloves wet for a change. :wazup:

They do appear very durable, they were warm, and the gauntlet is nice to have when stumbling around in powder between climbs.

But dude, $170?! I can buy two pairs of the awesome Rab Latok gloves (for leading) and a pair of basic leather palmed BD ski gloves (for belaying) for that much. And switching gloves throughout the day makes me happier than wearing one soggy pair just because OR says I can.