[TR] Eagle Creek Falls - 12/10/2009

rocky_joe

Trip: Eagle Creek Falls -

Date: 12/10/2009

Trip Report:

So the trip was a few days ago, but since then I've been busy with a quick run up the Hood (my thoughts and prayers are still with Katie and Anthony up there), packing to head home for break and knee surgery this morning. Now with all that well and done, I have a moment to sit down and post some photos.

As has become the normal for Thomas (Maineiac) and myself this trip was planned about 10 minutes before we were in the car and on our way. Having heard from a mutual friend, Max, that the lower part of the falls were in but the top section would be a spicy, sporty lead, we decided that we'd give it a shot and head up there. We made a brief stop by Max's house to borrow a couple extra screws and he very kindly lent me his Cobras as well(When I asked to borrow tools I assumed he still had his BD Rages kickin around...I'm in love with those tools!) A last minute phone call to get Neal on board and a stop by each of our houses to grab gear and we were on our way. The drive was a quick hour and the falls were nearly close enough to the road to belay from the car.

DSC03167.JPG

A 2 minute walk brought us to the bottom of the falls. The top section (probably WI4/4+ was too wet, thin and generally spicy for any consideration of a lead so we spent the next 30 mins looking for a way up the cliff band to set a TR and give the thing a go that way. After getting sketched out scrambling on wet, mossy, shitty mud-rock we decided that the bottom, WI2 ramp was good enough fun for all of us. Thomas lead up a rap line and then we spent about 2 hrs soloing different lines on the ramp, anywhere from 2 to 2+. Afterward, we pulled the line, drove to eugene, and then onto Mt. Hood (Thomas with another buddy for the Devil's Kitchen and myself with two good friends for their first go at mountaineering.)

DSC03168.JPG

DSC03169.JPG

DSC03173.JPG

DSC03177.JPG

Eagle Creek looks really sick, I can't wait til next winter's cold snap so I can give it a real go.

Approach Notes:

Turn left off Hwy 58 after the train bridge. Drive uphill...look up.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic