News poll: require climbers to carry beacons?

cluck

Can you guys help climbers out with an online poll? A local TV station in Portland has a poll asking if people think MLU's should be mandatory. Right now the voting is about 95% yes, to 5% no. Here's the link:

KOIN Local 6

Poll is about halfway down on that main page, in the center.

Many thanks.

There's also likely to be another bill in Oregon congress trying to pass such a law, so be prepared.

As an aside, I used to be a member on here when the board first started, but haven't been climbing in years.

Edited by PhilA

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you guys help climbers out with an online poll? A local TV station in Portland has a poll asking if people think MLU's should be mandatory. Right now the voting is about 95% yes, to 5% no. Here's the link:

KOIN Local 6

Poll is about halfway down on that main page, in the center.

Many thanks.

There's also likely to be another bill in Oregon congress trying to pass such a law, so be prepared.

As an aside, I used to be a member on here when the board first started, but haven't been climbing in years.

I respect your making an inquiry about the need for MLU's but now's not the time and certainly not in this thread. thanks!

Click here to vote NO:

http://www.katu.com/

Well, vote whatever you like. But know that Portland Mountain Rescue opposes such measures:

http://www.pmru.org/pressroom/headlines/20091213PMRStatementRegardingMissions.html

Also see PMR statement against 2007 proposed legislation

I hate to even bring this up during this tragic time, but this controversial issue appears to be back in the media forefront once again.

Edited by cluck

I am one of the 8% to answer no! Sad story, but nobody could ever 'force' me to take a beacon, I would just take one if someone gave it to me then asked me to take it politely ;)

Well, I think the 8% probably contains a lot of us here, and the rest is expected from a poll to a wider audience. most people reading the story probably just think we are all death seaking nutjobs who waste taxpayer money.

Phil, climbers are outnumbered by the ignorant public 1000 to 1, but that never stops the idiot mob from having an opinion based entirely on their uniformed biases and media shaped perceptions. If you're interested in the subject, I suggest you schedule an interview with Portland Mountain Rescue or some other reputable Search and Rescue outfit and publish some real information based on facts and experience, rather than a silly popularity poll designed to increase web traffic.

KOIN TV, the bastards taking advantage of this situation, playing on emotions and trying to drum up some viewers by exploiting this situation when having a beacon up there has nothing to do with the situation.

This is spot on, Steve.

Three years ago, just days after the announcement of their disappearance there was an article in the Oregonian about whether or not climbers should be required to carry these things. When the families of the missing are still trying to absorb what has happened and what is being done to attempt to rescue any survivors it is always the ignorant, unsympathetic, zombie-like, media types that make the situation worse by diverting attention from what is really important.

To those who want to aggravate the situation, please find somewhere else to do it... this is not the place, and certainly not the time!

i was having the discussion with my mom tonight. she's 100% for it, it's really hard to get her to understand all the reasons I'm against them being mandatory.

Bill makes a point similar to the idea behind a lot of the ones I used with my mom. If we're going to make climbers carry beacons, then we have to make every hiker, hunter and mushroom picker take one whenever they set foot of pavement.

Edited by rocky_joe

I was in the 11% voting. Do not forget to send in some comments to viewersvoice@katu.com

This was my comment:

I will carry a beacon as soon as all the other screw balls like mushroom pickers, hunters, boaters, skiers, bikers, and the rest of the other knuckleheads who cost more money to "rescue" than climbers.

How about if we each vote "no" several thousand times? The poll appears to allow that...

BTW - avalanche safety trivia: there has never been a recorded avalanche fatality where the victim had had an avalanche cord deployed!! get rid of your transceivers, guys!!

in both cases, carry and use an appropriately prepared BRAIN.

KOIN TV, the bastards taking advantage of this situation, playing on emotions and trying to drum up some viewers by exploiting this situation when having a beacon up there has nothing to do with the situation.

I find it interesting that TWO stations are running poles. Folks start calling the news directors voicing your disgust.

http://cascadeclimbers.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/927232

Right side 3/4 the way down the page:

http://www.katu.com/