How many people climb Mt Rainier in January?

goatroper

They are having a discussion on Craig's List Seattle Rant and Rave about the idea of climbing Mt Rainier in the middle of the winter (January) Some people think this idea is insane and other people think this is no big deal. Can some of you provide your opinion as to the idea of going to the top of Mt Rainier in January? Can anyone share a story of what that might be like?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had gorgeous summit days in January on Rainier, and desperate ones in the middle of summer. It can easily be no big deal if you wait for a good weather/snow conditions window and approach the mountain with respect.

That said...Craigslist? Have fun flinging poo with a bunch of schizo's, rednecks and poofdahs who have no clue about which they speak. People who don't climb are too fucking gonzo to understand summer ascents let alone winter ascents.

Oh great, now the penis size comparison geeks from craigslist rants and raves are going to infiltrate CC.com....

Stupid REI-shopping, Subaru-driving, self-entitled libtards will get exactly what they were asking for by laughing in Mother Nature's face!

Take that 'tards!

That is an example of some of the enlightened genius sentiments among some of the best penis size challenged individuals over at that cesspool.

+1 for craigslist being a cesspool. Those guys are all jackasses who haven't a clue about climbing.

Have you strolled through the comments sections of any of the local news stations web sites? It's almost just as bad, if not worse in some instances (fox channels seem to have a higher number of morons)...

Most are crying about the tax dollars being wasted looking for lost or injured hikers/climbers etc. Yet no one mentions how much money we spend on Coast Guard rescues for commercial fishermen... :wave: No one screams that they should be charged...

Is it more of a cesspool than cc.com over there at craigslist? Maybe.

The basic dynamics are the same. Somebody who may or may no know what they are talking about replies to the material that is posted for all to see, and then everyone else sees it.

I've seen some crazy stuff at both sites.

Is it more of a cesspool than cc.com over there at craigslist? Maybe.

The basic dynamics are the same. Somebody who may or may no know what they are talking about replies to the material that is posted for all to see, and then everyone else sees it.

I've seen some crazy stuff at both sites.

There you have it, I believe we now know the identity of either Big Mikey or Nebikard.

It is certainly less crowded up there this time of year. I did the climb once in a party of three on a New Years Weekend. We didn't see anyone past Camp Muir that day. And the upper Mountain has a special wintertime spleandor with the fresh layer of snow. When we did it it was a clear calm day and had been clear for the better part of a week so the we found pretty stable conditions up there. It certainly was cold but I have seen it a lot windier up there on summer climbs than it was that day. So a lot of it is a matter of being lucky enough to have good conditions for the occasion.