[TR] Elk River, ID- ER Falls and Mixed (fa?) - Upp

wayne

Trip: Elk River, ID- ER Falls and Mixed (fa?) - Upper and Lower Elk River Falls

Date: 12/13/2009

Trip Report:

Saturday Beau and I went east of Pullman an hour and a half to Elk River to search for Ice. We had a good warm up session the day before on the cliff behind the local furniture store

P1010213.jpg.

Great little crag after they close at 6pm.

Elk River is a park with view-point trails that take you by the middle and lower falls. We started on the Middle, which is the biggest.

P1010223.jpg

Rapping in to the middle Falls

IMG_0756.JPG

Beau led it in one long pitch

P1010224.jpg

P1010226.jpg

were off to find the lower falls hoping it would be more difficult. We found it to be.

IMG_0763.JPG

IMG_0773.JPG

and we found next to it, an area that would make a great mixed crag if bolts were added to the tops. Anyone in the area have a power-drill?

IMG_0776.JPG.

Possible Fa of a great mixed route we named The Public Option. 30m-WI3 M4. Super Fun Day!

Gear Notes:

2 kb's for the mixed route. 1 rope for everything

Approach Notes:

Follow any trail, they all lead to the river

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice!!! I've know locals that have skied back there a few times to not find it in. The good local climbers I knew said it hadn't been climbed. There's a chance that it was climbed and never reported, but there's a good chance that is an FA.

So tell me you didnt drive all there just for the ice climbing?

That's how I know it Wayne. From what I hear, this cold snap was more like how it was long ago. The couple times I went back in there it was just an unprotectable egg shell. Sure it may have been done back in the '70s, but yours is the first known ascent as far as I know. I seem to recall asking the local historian (Crock) and he didn't know anything about it... congrats. I'm jealous and stoked for you and Beau.

I was talking to John Crock today. He and his partner went to check out these climbs earlier today. The lower falls apparently had water gushing down the middle, and the upper one had a hole that was getting bigger as they were standing and watching. They bailed. John says he never heard of these falls freezing completely as Wayne and Beau found it.

Nice timing WayneBuea :) .